Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantages of updating from Win 8 to 8.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advantages of updating from Win 8 to 8.1?

I was looking into loading MS Essentials then I read that MS Essentials is included in Win 8.1 update.

Available Free

If you have Win 7 or Vista or XP and you want a free copy try this:

Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

My computer people told me the only advantage is if you want to sync with a tablet PC. Microsoft has to do this to compete with Apple. Otherwise WIN 7 is more dependable and to go with it. Also there is a learning curve with Win 8.

Comment

If you have Windows 7, you should be able to use any standard professional tax prep software without any OS issues. You may have issues with Windows 8. For example ATX does not recommend Win 8 for their software.

Windows 9 is rumored to be released in April 2015. I think Microsoft has pretty much acknowledged that Win 8 has been a failure like Vista, Millenium and there was 1 I forget.

I think XP and Win 7 has been the most stable OS so far.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
          Windows 9 is rumored to be released in April 2015. I think Microsoft has pretty much acknowledged that Win 8 has been a failure like Vista, Millenium and there was 1 I forget. I think XP and Win 7 has been the most stable OS so far.
          Windows 7 is a stable, reliable OS, and the drastic redesign of Windows 8 has been too much for many people (especially corporate customers), so I'll be skipping Windows 8. That said, the question is whether someone who already has Windows 8 should upgrade to Windows 8.1 ("Blue"). I've heard no complaints from anyone who made that move.
          --
          James C. Samans ("Jamie")

Comment

I heard today that one of the computer makers wants to market their products with WIN 7 rather than WiN8. Don't remember which one but I won't put 8 on my computers.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Windows 8

Run, don't walk away from this OS. Many issues show up with hardware and software compatibility.

I for one, will never never use this OS.
              Confucius say:
              He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Win 8.1

It's HP that is going to stick with Win 7 This is the News headline do a Google search:

HP sticks thumb in Microsoft's eye, extends Windows 7 option for new machines

Customers clamor for 'anything but Windows 8' alternative

Comment

I just bought a new Dell 7000 series laptop with a solid state hard drive. I love it, it's lighting fast. It had Win 7 on it, not 8. It works great.

Comment

Win 7

John I also got a SSD on my Win 7. Will never go back. It's the only way to go. I was getting a 500 GB HD and my computer guy showed me that in 4 years I only used 60 GB so told me to get a 120 GB SSD. It's fast!

Comment

It makes sense to have a SSD for the boot drive. You can have a second HD of larger capacity for data.

I have that setup. 120GB SSD and 1TB SATA

Comment

Upgraded to Win 8.0 last month

on my computer, a 5 year old Dell with only 2Gb of RAM and all my programs including Drake work fine. I use the old desktop format not the touchy-feely since my 'puter doesn't have a touch screen. Haven't upgraded to 8.1 so don't know if that would enhance anything or not.
                        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks to August for reminding me it is HP that is doing this. When I bought new computers from Best Buy I was fortunate enough to find that they still had HP with WIN 7. Now if I need to replaced them I know where to go.
                          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                          X