Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Year End Spending

Have a taxpayer that just notified me for year end spending

Equipment order/purchase date is 12/27/2013, however, taxpayer used a credit card which was not charged until the actual shipment date which was 1/2/2014

Is this purchase a 2013 purchase or a 2014 purchase?

Thanks

Sandy

It is a 2013 expense when the order was placed using a credit card.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I think you have a problem with "Place in Service" date............ 2014
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

My thought - so please offer solutions or corrections

Credit Card usually has two columns - one is trans Date and one is posting Date, sometimes these don't exactly match due to processing - so I use Trans date at end of year

Order placed 12/27/2013, HOWEVER, CC charge was on shipment date of 1/2/2014 - In this case I suspect it is Trans Date which possibly is 2014 - will have to obtain the stmt to make sure

I was always taught if the CC card transaction showed 2013 trans charge, would be a an expense ( of course small items - etc) not major items

So I am thinking it is a 2014 date - one because of shipment date and of course "placed in service"

Thoughts,

Sandy
        Last edited by S T; 01-03-2014, 10:21 PM.

Comment

My thought on "Placed in Service" was the equipment being ready to use date. Prepayment does not mean ready to use. I could be wrong but I would handle as a 2014 purchase and placed in service date.

It would be interesting to see what others think.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

It is

not "in service" if it is not in the client's facility, ready for use!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If it is depreciable property (you said "equipment"), then it is not placed in service until 2014, and can't be used until 2014.

If it's NOT depreciable property, it's 'iffy'. I would say whenever the 'transaction date' (not the 'posting date') on the credit card is would be the deductible year.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

Too many dates provided by client and importing into QB, thereby some of my questions and a lot of confusion with T/P - T/p was spending online - which we need to be mindful can be an issue between order date and actual receipt delivery date.

Only have a purchase order, confirmation of order, cc download to QB which on statement has 2 dates (transaction and posting dates) - finally got to the issue that T/p ordering for year end expenses, has not even received the Equipment (office equip) thereby not placed in service.

So all to be continued for this issue to 2014 date.

Sandy

Comment

How much was the purchase?

Comment

$ 1,400 for new computer and printer/scanner

Not a huge tax impact in that regard, just that t/p was doing some year end spending to try to reduce some profits - T/p had a really "good year"

Sandy
                    Last edited by S T; 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

It

has tio be available for use-i.e. hooked up set up and could have done 50 tax returns - so software is loaded, hardware is hooked up and your ready for the season - TAX SEASON... I actualy had two work stations put in 12/30/13. Even a new keyboard that when I hit "a" I laso hit caps lock and do not notice!!!

Happy New Tax Season guys.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                        $ 1,400 for new computer and printer/scanner

Not a huge tax impact in that regard, just that t/p was doing some year end spending to try to reduce some profits - T/p had a really "good year"

Sandy
                        It is your choice on that amount. but I would bring it to 2014.

Comment

Working...
                        X