Outside Basis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outside Basis

My client inherited a 50% partnership interest in 2004. The partnership held one piece of real estate which was sold in 2005. I have the K-1 showing the gain. I need to reduce the gain by my client's step up in basis and increase the gain by removing the old basis. However, do I need to figure depreciation on the outside basis (the step up) as well?

If your client inherited 50% last year the partnership was terminated.

Comment

I'll rephrase

My client inherited 50% of the partnership upon the death of his father in 2004. The other 50% was inherited by my client's brother. The partnership terminated upon the sale of the real estate in 2005. Does the step up in basis each receives (outside basis) get depreciated?

Comment

1crewse

The real estate sale net gain has to be reported as determined by the 1065-K1. Then think of your partnership interest much the same as if you owned stock in a corporation, inthat as the partnership liquidates and/or distributes assets your outside (stepup) basis is your cost. Outside basis is not depreciated.

Can't remember my password and not on my computer. OldJack

Comment

Now I'm not a work either. But my point was if you have 50% or more change in ownership in a partnership the partnership terminates. I'm unaware but maybe change because of death has some exception. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Comment

Each brother inheritted 50% partnership interest from father? So father was 100% owner of partnership? Are you sure the partnership wasn't setup after father died?

Comment

Working...
            X