Repair/Capitalization Final Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair/Capitalization Final Regulations

I am displaying my ignorance but I am totally confused about this issue. I was hoping that TTB would shed some light on this but it doesn't. I am aware that this only happened recently.

The main question is: Does this regulation in any way effect the depreciation system we have always used?

F.e. Using these regulations, a taxpayer can elect to not capitalize all assets costing $500 or less (I am not referring to the 179 election). BUT this also constitutes a change in accounting method. Will a taxpayer have to follow this regulation to be able to expense any asset, even a low cost calculator? Again, don't bring Sec.179 into this picture.

Does anything change in regards to deducting repairs on a building, see quote below:

"A significant change for small taxpayers is that taxpayers with gross receipts of $10 million or less can elect to deduct, for buildings that initially cost $1 million or less, the lesser of $10,000 or 2% of the adjusted basis of the property for repairs, etc. each year."

Again, change in accounting method required. My real question is, should a taxpayer adopt these regulations to not run into arguments with the IRS what is deductible as repairs?

Please, someone tell me, that I am totally going overboard, and nothing really changed for the type of clients I am normally dealing with. I do have a client whose apartments complexes cost several million dollars, and I am concerned about possible bookkeeping consequences.

Confusion in their clarification

I, too, am very confused by this. I have read several sources with conflicting interpretations.

Is anyone clear on this matter and can help us understand?

Comment

Originally posted by dkss View Post
      I, too, am very confused by this. I have read several sources with conflicting interpretations.

Is anyone clear on this matter and can help us understand?
      I don't know if this is what you seek but CCH published an updated special briefing on this topic. Their briefings (many different topics) are very good - you can find more of them on the CCH site.

Comment

Source of confusion

Thanks, NY EA. The CCH briefing was the main source of my confusion. Still confused, still hoping there will be a simple answer as to the question if small businesses need to do anything if they do not want to risk to have expenses thrown out later with no recourse.

Comment

$500 or $200?

$200 limit for M&S. So when does the $500 limit apply?

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
          I am displaying my ignorance but I am totally confused about this issue. I was hoping that TTB would shed some light on this but it doesn't. I am aware that this only happened recently.

The main question is: Does this regulation in any way effect the depreciation system we have always used?

F.e. Using these regulations, a taxpayer can elect to not capitalize all assets costing $500 or less (I am not referring to the 179 election). BUT this also constitutes a change in accounting method. Will a taxpayer have to follow this regulation to be able to expense any asset, even a low cost calculator? Again, don't bring Sec.179 into this picture.

Does anything change in regards to deducting repairs on a building, see quote below:

"A significant change for small taxpayers is that taxpayers with gross receipts of $10 million or less can elect to deduct, for buildings that initially cost $1 million or less, the lesser of $10,000 or 2% of the adjusted basis of the property for repairs, etc. each year."

Again, change in accounting method required. My real question is, should a taxpayer adopt these regulations to not run into arguments with the IRS what is deductible as repairs?

Please, someone tell me, that I am totally going overboard, and nothing really changed for the type of clients I am normally dealing with. I do have a client whose apartments complexes cost several million dollars, and I am concerned about possible bookkeeping consequences.
          Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

another article

This is a complete list of blogs written by our thought leaders at LBMC. You can filter the list based on our various companies or our services.

This is just one more article in the mix. Somehow I cannot believe that every taxpayer will have to file form 3115.

Comment

NATP's Tax Pro magazine has an entire article on this and that was their conclusion -- i.e, every taxpayer (who has depreciable property) has to file a 3115. I had a headache after trying to sort all these new regs out. Still confused.

Comment

Working...
              X