Builder refurbishes and sells building.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Builder refurbishes and sells building.

A building contractor refurbishes a building that he owns and sells it at a profit. Is there an SE tax issue?
    Evan Appelman, EA

A similar question was asked before and the answer I think was yes, subject to SE.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Perhaps I should provide more info.

The property is a duplex that the builder has owned for 30 years, living in one unit and renting out the other. A few years ago he took the rental unit off the market and undertook a major remodel. He is now looking to sell the property, and he expects a very substantial profit.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Curious on this post, as I have a potential for 2013 which happens to be a loss based on info I have obtained so far

If an investor, not subject to SE? and would report through Sched E, 4797, etc

Or because a RE professional, and would be a Sched C as in "flipping real estate" and then subject to SE

Just trying to obtain more thoughts and guidance

Sandy

Comment

Rental

How long has it been out of the rental market. And is half of depreciated out (30yrs)

Comment

Three years.

Original basis fully depreciated. But there have been earlier remodels, and, of course, the current remodel will be a big one.

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
            How long has it been out of the rental market. And is half of depreciated out (30yrs)
            Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

My $.02

You have a sale of a personal residence that may qualify for exclusion on the half lived in and you have a sale of an investment property with a basis equal to the amount of improvements made since it was taken out of rental (since you said it was fully depreciated). I don't see how this could be construed to be SE income due to his profession as a contractor because one half is his personal residence and one half is a former rental converted to personal (investment) use.

Comment

I agree with Josh. He took the words out of my mouth.

Comment

Working...
                X