Estimated tax payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estimated tax payments

What's your thoughts on putting social security number on check when you mail in the payment?

Instructions

The instructions say to put it on the check which is probably because the IRS is not too dependable about keeping checks and vouchers together.

But with all the issues about identity theft, how do you know the person handling those payments is honest and won't steal the number.

I have one client who will not put her SS number on any check. One year she owed money and I told her to write it on her check and she absolutely refused.

So if you don't do it, there is nothing they can do about it.

Linda F

Comment

Soc Sec # on Checks

With the prevalence of indentity theft these days there is no way I would reccommend putting social security numbers on checks. Anyone that does is asking for trouble.

Comment

I share concerns about identity theft; however, estimated tax vouchers have social security numbers, as do the tax rerurns themselves. Where does it end?

Comment

Originally posted by taxfun
          I share concerns about identity theft; however, estimated tax vouchers have social security numbers, as do the tax rerurns themselves. Where does it end?
          I don't put my social security number on payments to revenue departments, just like I don't put my credit card number on payments to the credit card company.

Certainly there are many situations where you have to provide the information. I think it's a matter of only providing your SS number and/or other information when absolutely necessary. You have to provide your SS number on a payment voucher or tax return. The IRS needs that information. You don't have to put your SS number on the check to have the IRS process the payment, or credit card company, etc.

It's also a matter of having a document floating around out there with lots of personal information. If you send in a check for payment to the IRS without SS number, presumably the payment is logged and the account stays covered up until the next transaction. If you put your SS number on the check, instead of the information being covered up, you have a document floating around out there with your name, SS number, address, and bank account number.

It's not a matter of completely protecting yourself. It's a matter of reducing the odds against you.

Comment

While identity theft is a logical concern, I have to disagree with the other posters. I think it says on the instructions that you must write your soc # down. I have had clients who have also refused and in kind the IRS has applied the payment to the wrong person or wrong period.

If you are worried about the theft issue than why mail in the voucher or return at all ? Your social security number is out there already. However taking steps to protect yourself like requesting a free credit report annually or bi-annually is a good idea. Most lenders and banks are required to provide that credit report free of charge if you ask. Sure when joe-company asks for it I to will tell them no , but when the US govt is requesting it I think you have an obligation to provide it.

Comment

Soc Sec #

I personally do not do something I feel is stupid simply because the IRS says in the instrucitons that it should be done. I prefer exercising caution before the fact rather than after the fact and defending my position later.

Comment

I won't put mine on my check and I tell customers it is up to them. I know that the estimated tax voucher or payment voucher has my number on it. What concerns me is it traveling through the "system". Not only at the IRS but the banks that are processing the checks.

Comment

SS numbers on checks to IRS

Do we expose ourselves to some type of liability by advising our clients to put their social security number on their check to the IRS? Or, are we just advising clients of the IRS instructions and would that relieve us of any liability? Any lawyers out there?
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

I never put my social security number (or any account number) on my check so why would I tell clients to do that. Exception is paying back taxes when you want to specify that the payment be applied to a particular tax years taxes. The only reason the instructions say do it is for their convenience and I could care less about helping them with their job.

Comment

Ss#

I don't like to use my SS# any more than I have to. However, with the IRS I do feel that I have to. I usually use XXX-XX-1234 on my check to the IRS, but don't know if that's really protecting me any more than writing the full number.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany
                        I won't put mine on my check and I tell customers it is up to them. I know that the estimated tax voucher or payment voucher has my number on it. What concerns me is it traveling through the "system". Not only at the IRS but the banks that are processing the checks.
                        Geekgirldany , sorry to break the news to you but your bank already has your social secuity number and almost any employee at the bank could get access to it if they wanted to .

My point was that the banks already have your soc # and so does the IRS what's the difference then?

Comment

Have you ever looked at what the IRS lock-box operations prints on each check that is deposited? Your Tax Identification Number (SSN), type of tax, tax year and additional information. With the vast number of checks clearing electroniclly hardly anyone can "see" the check. If the physical check does process through the FRB system, it is handled by high speed MICR equipment and probably the only visual handling is in the statement operations at your bank. Have you seen the Bank of America TV ad in which they claim to process over 1 million checks a day? Hardly time to spot your SSN on your check!

Comment

Originally posted by ecb34691
                            Have you ever looked at what the IRS lock-box operations prints on each check that is deposited? Your Tax Identification Number (SSN), type of tax, tax year and additional information.
                            Good point.

It seems rather silly to refuse to put your social security number on the check when IRS will simply do it for you if you refuse. How do they know what number to put on your check? Because you enclosed the payment voucher that includes your SSN with the check in the same envelope. So anyone concerned about identity theft, find something else to worry about, because refusing to follow IRS instructions won't accomplish anything. In fact, if anything, it draws attention to your SSN because now someone actually has to manually put it on your check for you.
                            Last edited by Bees Knees; 04-29-2006, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X