In home care for elderly single person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In home care for elderly single person

Elderly man has been paying a lady for in home care. He also has her living there. He paid her $500 month by check. The lady is a Household Employee and he will have to issue a W-2. So my question is... is the wages on the W-2 going to be just the $500 a month which would be $6000 for the year. Or do you include the housing in the W-2 wages? How is the housing handled? Kind of like a "Nanny" but the care is for an elderly single man. (He refuses to go to a "home" and wants to stay in his own home until he dies).

In my opinion you would treat it like a live in Nanny. W2 household employee.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by nwtaxlady View Post
      Elderly man has been paying a lady for in home care. He also has her living there. He paid her $500 month by check. The lady is a Household Employee and he will have to issue a W-2. So my question is... is the wages on the W-2 going to be just the $500 a month which would be $6000 for the year. Or do you include the housing in the W-2 wages? How is the housing handled? Kind of like a "Nanny" but the care is for an elderly single man. (He refuses to go to a "home" and wants to stay in his own home until he dies).
      Just a quick search - IRS pub 15B- See section 119(a) - exclusion from income the value of meals and lodging furnished by the employer to a nanny or household worker provided the following conditions are met:

**Meals and lodging must be furnished on premises (family home)
      **Must be furnished for the employer's convenience (eg she cannot leave the home for lunch when on duty) and
      **For lodging only, employees must be required to accept the lodging as a condition of employment.

Hope this assists you

Sandy

Comment

If Social Security and Medicare are not taken out of the checks, you will need to adjust the gross income on the W-2 and so forth.

Comment

Employer can pay both parts of FICA when you complete Schedule H. Then you have to include employee's portion as wages the following year.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            Employer can pay both parts of FICA when you complete Schedule H. Then you have to include employee's portion as wages the following year.
            I think you need to include employee's portion as wages in CURRENT year.

Comment

I think you are correct. Sorry 'bout that.

Comment

Working...
              X