Getting FTF and/or FTP penalty abated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting FTF and/or FTP penalty abated?

New client comes me early Oct 2013. Client did not file extension form 4868 and I filed his 2012 tax return prior to Oct 15, 2013. Client receives letter from IRS hitting client with FTF and FTP (approx tax that was owed $1500) penalties plus interest. I asked client if they they ever had FTF in any previous tax years and they replied no. What are the chances of me getting the Failed to File penalty waived?

Ftf&ftp penalty

I have gotten both penalties waived for clients after they paid the original tax owed.It has to be the first time waiver has been asked for.Called PPL and they did it.

Comment

It works sometimes

I called the Practitioner line last week to beg for abatement of a 12K penalty. I had a long sob story ready to go, but the IRS staff simply said "No problem, I have abated the penalties and reduced the interest from $955 to about $75. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"
      Christopher Mewhort, EA
      mewhorttax.com

Comment

State returns are difficult to waive FTF/FTP penalties compared to IRS. Just had one rejected this year.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
        X