2013 agi issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 agi issues

The new tax law talks about AGI exceeding $XXXXXX.XX then you will fall into the higher tax bracket. In all my tax years (40+) I have never figured a clients taxes based on AGI. What am I missing?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Obamamath

Similar to Obamacare, a departure from everything you've previously known to be true and accurate.

Comment

I believe that this applies to the new .9% and 3.8% Medicare taxes. It is not based on taxable income.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

OMG........... HUH............ WOW........... Let me get this straight, itemized deductions, exemptions, and other tax reducing issues can reduce taxes but not this Obama add-on tax.........???????? Add-on tax hum.. alternative min. tax, how many more ways are there to attack a tax return to accomplish re-distribution of wealth?
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working with AGI restrictions

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
          I believe that this applies to the new .9% and 3.8% Medicare taxes. It is not based on taxable income.
          Correct. While I don't think anyone "figured a clients taxes based on AGI," that number is still relevant to many other tax issues.

FWIW: There are all kinds of limitations out there for AGI, MAGI, and likely a few other tweaks of the same type. It's a sneaky way of paying more taxes without....."raising taxes." Not unlike the current floor for deductible medical expenses going from 7.5% to 10% of AGI.

What comes to mind immediately are the new gotchas for the Omamacare add-ons (think new Forms 8959 and 8960). This is not to be confused with my favorite where folks paying Medicare B premiums may pay up to 3x what a lower-income Medicare enrollee may pay just because they "made too much" during the year.

FE

Comment

Medical Deduction

It seems that medical deductions should be allowed in full and some other deductions, such as mortgage interest should have the 10% reduction. You have no control over what your medical needs may be, but you do have the option to live in something other than a million dollar house.

Comment

Phaseouts Determined by AGI

The phaseouts of exemptions and itemized deductions are controlled by AGI.

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
                It seems that medical deductions should be allowed in full and some other deductions, such as mortgage interest should have the 10% reduction. You have no control over what your medical needs may be, but you do have the option to live in something other than a million dollar house.
                If the Prez and Congress really wanted to help with medical expenses, all medical expenses should be deductible to arrive at taxable income. No 10% haircut. Fully deductible.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                X