Turbo Tax - Copy of Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo Tax - Copy of Return

I don't use Turbo Tax, but a friend of mine had her son do her return on Turbo Tax and his computer crashed without making a copy of the return. Does anyone that uses Turbo Tax know if she should be able to get a copy from them if they efiled it? Thanks for any help.

Here's something I found on a quick internet search.
    I just skimmed it, but it appears to be what you're looking for.
    The possibility of retrieval and method depend upon which product he used to file in the first place.

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Also...

I believe the key issue is whether you prepared your TTax return online, or instead bought/installed the software on your personal computer.

In relation to the link posted by JohnH (note that TurboTax ONLINE is mentioned frequently), I would think your chances of retrieval are far better with the online preparation. They would likely have the necessary data file (including efile info) somewhere in cyberspace.

Otherwise, about the best you can expect is an IRS copy. . . .

FWIW: Regardless of the method used, it would be wise as a matter of practice to print hard copies and/or save the completed return/worksheets as PDF files.

FE

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for each response. Yes, as a tax preparer I give each client a hard copy for their files (and not just the efile form they sign). I give them a copy of each worksheet and sign the return I give them also. I also keep a hard copy and PDF for myself. I hate paperwork, but sure comes in handy when needed or when your printer or computer is down. Thanks again!!

Comment

Copy from TT

Online and in the computer software have different procedures for copies.

for online

for in computer software
          Tax returns prepared in the TurboTax CD/Download software are stored locally on your computer or storage device, even if you e-filed. Unlike TurboTax Online, we

TT is transitioning from the 2012 website to the 2013. During this transition some parts of the website may have intermittent access.

Comment

From what I can recall, if you do Turbo Tax online and still remember your login info you can go back and see the return that was filed and print it again. I ask my new clients who previously did TT online to do this and send me a copy.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
            X