Efile Efin Change of Structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efile Efin Change of Structure

I switched my business over from sole prop to s-corp. Of course I have a new EIN. IRS E-Help tells me I will have to file a new application to change the EIN associated with my current EFIN.

They said it would take 45 days. I never looked up that changing structure would require a new application. I thought I could just change it on eservices.

Has anyone else done this and did you have any problems? I've had my EFIN since 99 and worried about not having one in time for tax season.

Dany,

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
    I switched my business over from sole prop to s-corp. Of course I have a new EIN. IRS E-Help tells me I will have to file a new application to change the EIN associated with my current EFIN.

They said it would take 45 days. I never looked up that changing structure would require a new application. I thought I could just change it on eservices.

Has anyone else done this and did you have any problems? I've had my EFIN since 99 and worried about not having one in time for tax season.
    I also once changed my biz structure and sent off an app (form 8633) by mail to Andover on May 11, 2006. They mailed me a new EFIN number on June 5, 2006 which I felt was pretty quick. Since you're an EA, you won't have to fool with the fingerprint thing and unless turnaround time has deteriorated, it may not be too long a wait.

Comment

Thanks for responding Bart. That is good to know. I went ahead and submitted the application tonight. Cross my fingers everything will be okay.

I still have my fingerprint card and original application from 99/2000 when I first got my EFIN.

Comment

Sole Prop LLC w/EIN to S-Corp need a new EFIN?

Dany, were you an LLC while you were a Sole Prop?. Either way did you have an EIN as a Sole Prop? When my Sole Prop became an LLC, I applied for an EIN and then applied for new EFIN. It was late in the year and I too was nervous that I wouild not receive my new EFIN before the state of tax season but I received it mid Dec 2011.

As a Sole Prop LLC with an EIN, if I was to become an S-Corp, would I need to apply again for a new EFIN?

Comment

I know what you mean, but really, people don't "become" an LLC or a corporation. Both are separate entities under the state law.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

When I first started the EFIN was in my personal name. I later changed my sole prop into a LLC and got an EIN. I called IRS E Help/E Services and they updated the information with my business name and EIN. That is what they done with me anyways. Since my business/taxing structure has now changed because it is an S-Corp, then I have to do new application. Pub 3112 has when you can just update information versus submitting a new application.

Comment

Well the application has already been processed and I have a new EFIN. That was quick!

Comment

Working...
              X