IRS announces inflation adjustments for the year 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS announces inflation adjustments for the year 2014

On October 31, 2013 the IRS announced the inflation adjustments that affect tax brackets, personal exemptions, standard deductions, the AMT and many other items. Most amounts increased by about 1.7%.

For 2014 the standard deduction is $6,200 (single) or $12,400 (joint), plus the additional amount for over 65 or blind. The personal exemption amount increases $50 per person to $3,950.

The estate tax exclusion of decedents who die during 2014 increases to $5,340,000, up from $5,250,000 for estates of decedents who died in 2013. One item that did not increase is the annual gift tax exemption, remaining at $14,000, the same as for 2013. The gift tax exemption is subject to automatic inflation adjustments, but it isn't increased until the cumulative adjustments are $1,000. Accordingly, at the current rate of inflation this particular exclusion will increase by $1,000 about once every four years.

The full text of the IRS's announcement can be found on its web site by clicking "News and Events."

Supplement to the above, added on November 7, 2013:

The tax rate brackets that will be in effect for 2014 are contained in Rev Proc 2013-35. Here's a link:

The above Rev Proc contains all the inflation adjusted rates, deductions, exemptions, credits, phase-out levels, etc. for the year 2014.
    Last edited by Roland Slugg; 11-07-2013, 08:20 PM. Reason: Link added
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Depreciation Element of SMR

Sluggo since you are updating these relevant rates, what is the depreciation element of the standard mileage rate for 2013?

The rate of $.555/mile includes the depreciation, but the depreciation element sometimes comes into play if a vehicle is traded or sold for a loss...

Comment

The depreciation element of the SMR for 2013 and several earlier years was published in IRS Notice 2012-72 and can be found on the IRS's web site. The rate for 2013 is $0.23 per mile, unchanged from the 2012 rate.

The business SMR for 2013 is $0.565 per mile, not $0.555.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
        The business SMR for 2013 is $0.565 per mile, not $0.555.
        Depends on whether you look on a current website or one that's no longer maintained. I should have read more carefully. Wish they would purge the internet for sites that don't maintain current information.

Thanks for the info...and the correction.

Comment

Nice to know the new standard deductions and exemption amounts, but IRS left out in the announcements just where each percentage bracket starts/changes.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X