Chrome and PTIN renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome and PTIN renewal

Has anyone else had trouble renewing a PTIN with Chrome? In my case, the browser blocked access to the payment screen, saying the certificate was defective. It would not give me an option to go ahead anyhow. I had to log in with Firefox to complete the payment.
    Evan Appelman, EA

From my experience

Originally posted by appelman View Post
    Has anyone else had trouble renewing a PTIN with Chrome? In my case, the browser blocked access to the payment screen, saying the certificate was defective. It would not give me an option to go ahead anyhow. I had to log in with Firefox to complete the payment.
    I had trouble with Firefox completing the process. I'm not kidding when I say I was logged out at least 10 times, had to start over each time and the payment process took about 3 or 4 tries. Standard Govt. site.

Also, be careful with Chrome. It loaded a NASTY add on called Sweetpacks to my computer, virtually impossible to get rid of this thing and it's hundreds of registries. Curses, and I was just beginning to like Chrome!
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

PTIN issus with IE

On Friday I was having the same problems with IE8. I would log in and attempt to renew and get kicked back to the login screen or never get to the payment screen. After several attempts I called the 800 number and after waiting 15-20 minutes, the kind lady told me the site was experiencing unusual high volume of traffic. I could not resist and asked if the same contractor that designed the PTIN site was the same guy that designed Obamacare site. She said she didn't know for sure. I tried later in the afternoon and it worked fine.

Comment

Ptin

I don't have any trouble logging in and getting to the application page with Chrome., the trouble I'm having is it won't let me renew, it thinks I don't have a PTIN. When I fill in the info it say's my social number has already been used. I can't get to the main menu where it say's "PTIN Renewal"
        Confucius say:
        He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Not a problem with the site

I had no problems with the PTIN site itself. It took me about five minutes to complete, since it remembered all my previous information. All I had to do was update my EA expiration date. It is when I went to pay and tried to finalize the payment that Chrome stopped me dead, said the site's security certificate was defective, and wouldn't let me proceed.

Regarding Dave's warning, I recently tried to close Chrome, only to receive a warning that "downloads were in process." I knew I wasn't downloading anything, and the Chrome download screen showed a couple of downloads with cryptic titles, which I promptly deleted. I don't think anything stuck on my Mac. I have been a little wary of Chrome because of its tie-in with the new "evil empire," and the gratuitous commercials that frequently pop up. But it is fast!
          Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

The only problem I had was that I initially typed my password wrong. After correcting it, everything worked OK and I used Chrome.

They had my credit card information stored from last year, so I didn't have to enter it.

Comment

Ptin renewal

Having same problem will not allow me to renew.Called was told to try again Wednesday it will be fixed.

Comment

Working...
              X