2nd home used personally and as rental property-loss on sale in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm.

Well, it's true that the whole Pub. is devoted to the sale of a main home, but I would think that would only be relevant to the question of gain exclusion. I can't seem to find anything anywhere that specifically addresses the question of a second home used partly as a rental. Can you? The only thing i've come up with is an H & R Block article that implies allocation to be required, but without any citation.

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
    I saw page 16 in Pub 523. When I read it I interpreted it to say that the treatment as one item on Schedule D applies to a principal residence but not a second home.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Memory Lane

Years ago when you sold a principal residence with a home office you had two sales. Office on 4797 and home on 2119 or Schedule D. Then IRS said no you can just do on Schedule D. As I too, can not find anything on point to guide me in this situation my thinking is this is a two form sale because there is no special rule like in the home office situation.

Comment

I now have a situation where over 9 years a vacation home was about 60% personal use and 40% rental each year (the percentages varied by a few % each year). In this case it would be better tax wise if I could report the sale as one asset on Schedule D, as you would a home office. This way the loss would offset the depreciation claimed and they would report zero gain or loss. However, I think I have to report this as a sale (the 40%) with a gain on Form 4797 (due to depreciation) and a sale (60%) with no gain or loss on Schedule D as the loss is not allowed. Anyone disagree?
        Kram - can you provide some ballpark numbers for this . . .

Mike

Comment

Amounts

House cost $1,000,000.
          Improvements 15,000
          Sold for 1,015,000
          depreciation 30,000
          sales ex $46,000

So if sold as one sale on D there is a $6,000 non deductible loss

If 40% sold on 4797 then there is a $11,600 gain (30 k depreciation less 40% of 46k)
          and on Schedule D there is a non deductible loss.

Comment

Answer to MY Issue

I had NATP research the vacation home sale. As I suspected, after thinking about it after your inputs, the sale gets reported as the sale of a rental on 4797 and a residence on D. What I learned is even if you rent for 14 days or less during the year and pocket the money (and don't report the rent), these are considered rental days. I saw this in NCPE and thought that 7 days of rental use should not be considered as rental but in 1040 Deskbook by PPC it states they count towards rental days when the property is sold.

Comment

I had NATP research the vacation home sale. As I suspected, after thinking about it after your inputs, the sale gets reported as the sale of a rental on 4797 and a residence on D. What I learned is even if you rent for 14 days or less during the year and pocket the money (and don't report the rent), these are considered rental days. I saw this in NCPE and thought that 7 days of rental use should not be considered as rental but in 1040 Deskbook by PPC it states they count towards rental days when the property is sold.
              Thanks for the final solution posting.

So, for a Personal Use Property rental less than 14 days, you are supposed to track the # of rental days for the purpose of the percentage of rental vs personal.
              Did they happen to provide any citations to back up there findings?

Mike

Comment

TC Case

I believe the research mentioned a TC case called Roy. In this case a person rented his home at less than fair market value. The TC said even though less than fair market value each day counted as a rental day.

Comment

Working...
                X