Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAFA relocation $3,000 Payment- Taxable or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HAFA relocation $3,000 Payment- Taxable or not?

Is the $3,000 relocation fee received from HAFA (Home Affordable Foreclosure Act) after a short sale considered taxable income?

I have come accross the following:
    While there is no IRS directive that I can point you to, the Internal Revenue Service has consistently held that governmental payments made under governmental programs for the promotion of the general welfare are not includible (sic) in an individual recipient’s gross income (general welfare exclusion). This includes borrower incentive payments received under any TARP program including the borrower relocation incentive under HAFA. However, to the extent that moving expenses are tax deductible, a borrower in a HAFA transaction must reduce the moving expenses by the amount of the relocation incentive before itemizing this expense. In other words they can’t double dip.”

I have also come accross this interpretation:
    Per the IRS, the program is also called “Cash for Keys” and the amounts are taxable but not subject to self-employment tax (1099-MISC box 3):

What's your read...
    Thanks,
    Taxadvisor VA

Here's a link which was posted on another thread regarding this issue.

You can find several threads on this forum if you search "Cash for Keys"

I also found this with a Googke search, although I can't vouch for its veracity.

Chances are the client will receive a 1099MISC, which will probably require reporting on line 21 (not subject to SE tax, of course).
    Last edited by JohnH; 10-08-2013, 05:57 AM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

HAFA payment reply

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      Here's a link which was posted on another thread regarding this issue.

You can find several threads on this forum if you search "Cash for Keys"

I also found this with a Googke search, although I can't vouch for its veracity.

Chances are the client will receive a 1099MISC, which will probably require reporting on line 21 (not subject to SE tax, of course).
      Thanks John for the research and the links.
      Best Regards,
      Taxadvisor VA

Comment

Working...
      X