Computerese Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computerese Question

It was not long ago very easy to declare a search page as your "default". If you wanted to change it, there was usually a button on the homepage itself, or a menu selection on the proverbial "right click."

The simple change options are gone. If there is any way to do this at all, it is a multi-page drag-you-through-the-garden step-by-step approach.

Do any of you know a simple way to get back to where we were?

It depends on your browser

Originally posted by buzzardbreath View Post
    It was not long ago very easy to declare a search page as your "default". If you wanted to change it, there was usually a button on the homepage itself, or a menu selection on the proverbial "right click."

The simple change options are gone. If there is any way to do this at all, it is a multi-page drag-you-through-the-garden step-by-step approach.

Do any of you know a simple way to get back to where we were?
    If you use Firefox (like me and a lot of other cool people), you go to the Orange Firefox Rectangle (drop down menu) at the top left corner of the page, click it and go to "Options". The Home Page default is the first thing you will see or it will be under "General".

If you use Internet Explorer (because you refuse change of any kind), you will go to "Tools" at the top right hand or left hand of your browser and click on "Internet Options". Again, the home page will be the first thing you will see or it will be under "General".

If you use Chrome, I can't help you because I downloaded this piece of garbage and it gave me an internet browser search virus called Sweetpacks and I still can't get rid of it!!! Shame on you Google!!

If you use Safari because you are really cool and you might be using a Mac, you Choose Safari > Preferences, and then click General. Choose Safari from the “Default web browser” pop-up menu.

If you use something else, I can't help you because I am only limited to personal experience. Also, be sure to read my disclosure at the bottom
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Thanks - Foxfire It is

Thanks Dave. Foxfire it is. The others download so much commercial garbage that they have become slower than the dialup days. Imagine paying extra for all this new speed so Google and others can dump more garbage into their screens.

Comment

Great Information, now I just have to figure out how to accomplish. I am so done with IE and error messages. Now also to find an alternate search engine, as Google is giving grief as well - and Google Chrome does not seem to be an option.

After 10/15/2013 - too busy now to give this issue much of my attention.

Sandy
        Last edited by S T; 10-04-2013, 02:43 AM.

Comment

More on computer issues

Originally posted by S T View Post
          Great Information, now I just have to figure out how to accomplish. I am so done with IE and error messages. Now also to find an alternate search engine, as Google is giving grief as well - and Google Chrome does not seem to be an option.

After 10/15/2013 - too busy now to give this issue much of my attention.

Sandy
          The Mozilla products (Firefox for browser and Thunderbird for email) are fairly easy downloads. I've been using T'bird.....forever. At present time I am using Firefox a greater % of the time, mainly because it just seems to work better/faster. In simple layman's terms....it does not have as much "clutter." I have zero experience with Chrome.

Useful advice: Be sure you are current on all updates, to include Win and IE and Adobe. In late September, for several days there were a bunch of updates that became available. IIRC, somewhere in the range of 20+. Remember to check regularly (automatic?), and in order to make most of those downloads "work" you will need to do a complete shutdown/cold reboot of your computer.

As for IE and error messages: I would be a bit concerned with that issue. Also you should know that it is not infrequent to get bogus "warnings" which will download unneeded software....or worse....to your computer if you click on them. If the warning messages are deemed valid, you might first need to spend some time with a serious antivirus program and a HD maintenance program that handles such things as registry checks, etc. Also something as simple as running Disk Cleanup can often make things run smoother.

For the record: I currently have a Win7 system and IE is 10.0.09 and Firefox is 24.0

Good luck!

FE

Comment

Exactly!

Originally posted by buzzardbreath View Post
            Thanks Dave. Foxfire it is. The others download so much commercial garbage that they have become slower than the dialup days. Imagine paying extra for all this new speed so Google and others can dump more garbage into their screens.
            All I need the browser to do is to......browse the internet! I don't need 400 toolbars; I don't even know what to do with the toolbars!
            Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Working...
            X