Essential Services?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Essential Services?

News quote this morning: "Nation plunges into shutdown mode after lawmakers miss midnight deadline to fund the government, triggering the suspension of all but essential services for the first time in 17 years..."

Does anyone happen to know if IRS services are considered "essential"?

I know I do since I've got a few returns to send off today.

Oh well; guess ATX will give me news PDQ one way or the other.

You are still required to file and pay on time. But refunds may be delayed because of slowdown in processing.

I got a ton of calls yesterday from taxpayers who were on extension thinking they will get another automatic extension??
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

I heard

I heard a reporter say there would be terrible problems for people trying to get loans because the IRS division that sends transcripts to lenders would be short-handed.

OK, seriously? I have 6 - 8 clients a year getting second copies of tax returns FROM ME for lenders. I like to think I also have a few clients who take the time to locate the copy I gave them at tax time when they need it.

That reporter made it sound like earth was gonna plummet into the sun because of this cut.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Define "Catastrophe"

Another Bill Clinton-like "depends on how you define..."

Thousands of govt workers sent home today. Offices are locked - cannot report to work even if they wanted to. So they will sit at home
        and do no work.

A couple weeks from now when the govt cranks up again, these folks will be rewarded for their couch time with retroactive pay for doing nothing.

Yes, they have a real catastrophe on their hands, don't they?

Comment

AZ Sen Flake paid to attend kids wedding

While all this is going on, my Sen Flake has and continues to be here in AZ preparing for his kids wedding later this week and I am sure Sen Flake is taking no pay cut.

Comment

How many MILLION private sectors people have been out of work for how many YEARS? What was the political genius response to that? They passed a bill that has caused absolute chaos in the job market, and imposed a plethora of crushing regulations on employers. No worries there. But let a few hundred thousand excess bureaucratic chair warmers have to occupy their couches for a few days or even weeks, and it's a catastrophe. Go figure.

Comment

Not to worry...

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
              ...let a few hundred thousand excess bureaucratic chair warmers have to occupy their couches for a few days or even weeks, and it's a catastrophe...
              The National Treasury Employees Union is rallying to the rescue and has vowed to get backpay for all -- apparently not a moment too soon.

Although most of the government employees I'm familiar with have fairly fat salaries and insurance/pensions/etc. that private guys can only dream of; Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings said yesterday that "we need to be more sensitive to their (federal employees') needs" because "they're living paycheck to paycheck".

Who knew?

Comment

the thing is

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                The National Treasury Employees Union is rallying to the rescue and has vowed to get backpay for all -- apparently not a moment too soon.

Although most of the government employees I'm familiar with have fairly fat salaries and insurance/pensions/etc. that private guys can only dream of; Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings said yesterday that "we need to be more sensitive to their (federal employees') needs" because "they're living paycheck to paycheck".

Who knew?
                It's our paychecks.

Comment

Refund....what refund?

From here: http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/...128a:&st=email

“Tax refunds will not be issued until normal government operations resume,” said the IRS. The IRS emphasized, however, that the underlying tax law remains in effect, and all taxpayers should continue to meet their tax obligations as normal.

Yet ........... "IRS computer systems will continue to mail out automated notices to taxpayers".

Comment

Originally posted by LCP View Post
                    ...“Tax refunds will not be issued until normal government operations resume,” said the IRS. The IRS emphasized, however, that the underlying tax law remains in effect, and all taxpayers should continue to meet their tax obligations as normal.

Yet ........... "IRS computer systems will continue to mail out automated notices to taxpayers".
                    Well, anyway, we've sent in four or five returns since 10-1 and all were accepted/approved, so apparently the system's on automatic pilot and robots are running the show for now.

Comment

So far e-file is going through okay, guess it remains to be seen over this next week,

Now, I have an automated (robot) to renew my e-services password - and then following later in October and November, we have PTIN, and EA renewals - do you suppose those are up and functional.

So much for moving forward in technology to make all of our lives easier! I am still trying to get over the e-service POA process and that function they took away from us!

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                      X