New York Proposes Preparer Regulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Proposes Preparer Regulation

Thoughts from others on the board who prepare NY returns?

Opinion offered

I quit preparing any NY returns several years ago.

For those souls who must prepare NY returns, it appears to be another $$ grab not to mention the somewhat implied insult to the EAs or CPAs or RTRPs who have already passed their requisite training.

Just my 2¢ worth.

FE

Comment

If you are a non NY tax preparer preparing more than 10 NY returns you will need to look at your business model and determine what you want to charge for NY returns. I know a lot of tax preparers in CT and NJ prepare a lot of NY returns.
      Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

If you read the whole article, EAs, CPAs and Attorney's are not considered "Commercial preparers". That is what the letter says the requirements apply to, Commercial Preparers.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I believe they must still register and pay the registration fee, except they do not have to take the test and CU requirements are waived.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by ATSMAN View Post
            I believe they must still register and pay the registration fee, except they do not have to take the test and CU requirements are waived.
            That is not correct - EAs, CPAs and attorneys are exempt from NYS registration. See NYS tax law §32(a)(14)

Comment

NYS preparers

Based on my reading, I agree with Bob W and New York Enrolled Agent.

Comment

Since I prepare NY returns and an EA - I also thought, that EA and CPA and Attorneys were exempt from any fees or registration.

Wasn't that in the prior notice of several years ago?

If there is something different to that information for 2013, I need to know, as I do prepare NY returns.????

Thanks,

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                  If there is something different to that information for 2013, I need to know, as I do prepare NY returns.????
                  In a word, No

Comment

Working...
                  X