Use old Laptop as cloud storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use old Laptop as cloud storage

I watched this video where as you can turn an old PC into a cloud storage and access from your working PC using "Oxygen Cloud storage connector" software. I currently use Dropbox and since the data sits on my working PC, my working PC free space is shrinking fast. I am little concerned about storing my data on a Cloud away from my working PC so this "Oxygen Cloud storage connector" on my old PC continously backed up by Carbonite may be the answer. Its my understanding that I would still be able to share and manage my files just like Dropbox. I wont have to pay a monthly Cloud storage fee and its my understanding Oxygen Cloud storage connector software is a free download.

Has anyone used this Oxygen software to make their old PC a cloud storage? I located this video on this.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

You really don't even need this software. Just setup a network with a file server/computer to grab your files from the other pc. The basis of having a cloud storage is that the files are available off site away from the computer/office you are at. Just setup a backup on the file server and you will be set.

Comment

Would I be allowed to manage sharing folders

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
      You really don't even need this software. Just setup a network with a file server/computer to grab your files from the other pc. The basis of having a cloud storage is that the files are available off site away from the computer/office you are at. Just setup a backup on the file server and you will be set.
      Would I be allowed to pick and choose which folders to share with other users like Dropbox or would the user have full access to my designated laptop?

Comment

Yes

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        Would I be allowed to pick and choose which folders to share with other users like Dropbox or would the user have full access to my designated laptop?
        You can open Windows Explorer and select the folders and allow the PC / User access on a folder basis.

Dusty

Comment

The reason I use cloud storage.

My backups were on my desk. Then my house burned down!!!

Now I do both.

Comment

I really don't want my backups sitting in a server that is not under my control. I prepare 2 sets of backup and 1 set is stored in a lockbox at the bank on a weekly basis during tax season. Then after tax season ends I do another fresh consolidated backups. I am getting ready to do another set after 10/15. That will be my final backup for the 2012 tax year. I will made 2 DVD in addition to the flash drives, label them final 2012 and 1 set will live in the lockbox for 4 years.
            Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Working...
            X