Dependent who is student over 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent who is student over 25

Client's son turned 25 in August 2012. He graduated from medical school in May so was student for 5 months of year. Now he is doing his residency. I guess residency is considered on the job training.
    I was checking to see why refund was lower this year and it is because the software dropped him as a dependent.
    I will have to do more checking. But I don't think residents get paid. So his parents may be paying for his apartment and expenses. (or his girlfriend might be paying for the apartment). hmmmmm. guess I need to ask some more questions before I go any further.

But if someone has an opinion let me know.

Linda, EA

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    Client's son turned 25 in August 2012. He graduated from medical school in May so was student for 5 months of year. Now he is doing his residency. I guess residency is considered on the job training.
    I was checking to see why refund was lower this year and it is because the software dropped him as a dependent.
    I will have to do more checking. But I don't think residents get paid. So his parents may be paying for his apartment and expenses. (or his girlfriend might be paying for the apartment). hmmmmm. guess I need to ask some more questions before I go any further.

But if someone has an opinion let me know.

Linda, EA
    Some hospitals pay residents a small stipend. But that barely pays for fast food!

So if the parents are essentially supporting this child (as per IRS rules), should be able to claim as a dependent. Obviously if the GF is footing a lot of the bills that may be an issue.
    Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
      I will have to do more checking. But I don't think residents get paid.
      It depends on the hospital and the year of residency but residents probably earn in the $30K - $50K range on average. Obviously some are lower, some are higher. The son turned 25 - thus he is no longer under the q.c. rules. It seems the gross income test for q.r. would be the big factor.

Look at the Johns Hopkins website - 4th year residents are paid somewhere around $55K.

Comment

ok. Thanks for the heads up. He is just starting his residency so he might be a lower end if he gets anything.

I will check with his mom this evening. or as soon as I can get in touch with her.

Linda, EA

Comment

Resident

My son is a physician, and he was paid when he was a Resident.

Comment

Gross income

exception is gone so if you make what more than the depency deduction you are on your own.

Comment

Working...
            X