Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rollover of Inherited Retirement Plan to an IRA

I am confused on the rollover rules.

My friend's mother passed away. She was drawing her retirement from Texas Teachers' Retirement. I believe that is a 403B. The deceased was well over 70 1/2.

My friend rolled her share into an IRA. Doesn't she have to continue with the distributions? She plans to leave it in the IRA until she herself retires. I believe that she has to have it out within 5 years.

Appreciated any guidance.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

She can take the RMD based on her life or her mother's. She doesn't have to empty it in 5 years although she can. She can't add to it or not take distributions.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
      She can take the RMD based on her life or her mother's. She doesn't have to empty it in 5 years although she can. She can't add to it or not take distributions.
      So, it should have been rolled to a dedicated IRA? Not one she already had?

Also, if it is in an existing IRA, how can she remedy the problem? The mother died a little over two years ago and I know she hasn't taken anything out yet.
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Segregate the IRA

Did she explain to the bank the source of the rollover? It should have been setup as a rollover IRA. If the bank messedup they should be able to segregate the principal amount plus associated gain/loss and setup a rollover IRA that will NOT accept any new contributions. To minimize the beneficiary's taxes take the RMD based on the beneficiary's life expectancy.
        Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

It should have been designated as a Beneficiary IRA. If she didn't do that she may be stuck taking the money out in 5 years.
          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Ok, thanks. I know what to tell her now.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
              So, it should have been rolled to a dedicated IRA? Not one she already had?
              Also, if it is in an existing IRA, how can she remedy the problem? The mother died a little over two years ago and I know she hasn't taken anything out yet.
              Yes, see Pub 571, Chapter 8.

"Nonspouse beneficiary: A nonspouse bene may make a direct rollover of a distribution from a 403(b) plan of a deceased participant if the rollover is a direct transfer into an inherited IRA established to receive the distribution. ..............The RMD rules that apply in instances where the participant dies before the entire interest is distributed will apply to the transferred IRA."

I believe if this was not done properly at the bank, they can correct it and issue the correct RMD's. Report on 2013 1040.
              Last edited by Burke; 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                Yes, see Pub 571, Chapter 8.

"Nonspouse beneficiary: A nonspouse bene may make a direct rollover of a distribution from a 403(b) plan of a deceased participant if the rollover is a direct transfer into an inherited IRA established to receive the distribution. ..............The RMD rules that apply in instances where the participant dies before the entire interest is distributed will apply to the transferred IRA."

I believe if this was not done properly at the bank, they can correct it and issued the correct RMD's. Report on 2013 1040.
                Yes, that's what I had read. The part that threw me was that tha IRA had to be established for this rollover. I wanted to make sure I didn't mis-understand.

Comment

The reason for the separate inherited IRA, is that it is subject to different distribution rules as discussed above. If it were combined into an existing IRA which she established and had qualified earnings with which to contribute, the withdrawals could not be isolated between the two types.

Comment

Working...
                  X