RTRP status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTRP status

What is the latest on continuing education for RTRP?

under IRS appeal...IRS says not to use RTPR until court case is settled.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      under IRS appeal...IRS says not to use RTPR until court case is settled.
      Actually, if you have already passed the RTRP exam and received your credentials, the IRS has not said you can't advertise the fact that you are an RTRP. The IRS is actually not saying anything about what you can and cannot do as an RTRP. What the IRS cannot require you to do at this time is take CPE or pass the test in order to obtain or maintain a PTIN.

Last edited by Bees Knees; 07-23-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
        Actually, if you have already passed the RTRP exam and received your credentials, the IRS has not said you can't advertise the fact that you are an RTRP. The IRS is actually not saying anything about what you can and cannot do as an RTRP. What the IRS cannot require you to do at this time is take CPE or pass the test in order to obtain or maintain a PTIN.

http://www.natptax.com/TaxKnowledgeC...RTRP-FAQs.aspx
        Based on your post the IRS is not presently recognizing this designation. They have removed it from their website....it means nothing. I would say, again based on the article you posted, that one would not be able to say that RTRP is connected in any way to the IRS...at this time.

Comment

I had seen an article that said that those who have already received the designation and have made business cards with it CAN CONTINUE to use those business cards. There is no law that prohibits it. The IRS is taking a neutral position for now.
          Taxes after all are the dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. - FDR

Comment

Try this IRS website

When I first located this site early in 2012, I dont recall the two paragraphs (1st one on EA and directly below the RTRP) being there as they are now.

**RTRPs have passed an IRS test establishing minimal competency. The test covers only individual income tax returns (Form 1040). They must adhere to ethical standards. They must also complete 15 hours of continuing education each year. RTRPs have limited practice rights before the IRS, which means they can represent clients in only certain circumstances.

No offense to the RTRP's but I think its a good idea the IRS differated some of differences between the RTRP and EA to help the consumer in their decision. I dont believe I am violating any Cir 230 rules by including this link to my prospects and clients.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
              http://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals...r-Requirements

When I first located this site early in 2012, I dont recall the two paragraphs (1st one on EA and directly below the RTRP) being there as they are now.

**RTRPs have passed an IRS test establishing minimal competency. The test covers only individual income tax returns (Form 1040). They must adhere to ethical standards. They must also complete 15 hours of continuing education each year. RTRPs have limited practice rights before the IRS, which means they can represent clients in only certain circumstances.

No offense to the RTRP's but I think its a good idea the IRS differated some of differences between the RTRP and EA to help the consumer in their decision. I dont believe I am violating any Cir 230 rules by including this link to my prospects and clients.
              I agree that since the IRS has updated their post you are okay with including the RTRP however, my point is, at this time it means nothing because the IRS is not using it.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                I agree that since the IRS has updated their post you are okay with including the RTRP however, my point is, at this time it means nothing because the IRS is not using it.
                It certainly does mean something. It means you passed a test, administered by the IRS, that says you are competent to prepare tax returns, and you have a certificate issued BY THE IRS that says so.

It doesn't mean at this time IRS requires it. But there is nothing in that court order or from IRS that says you can't advertise THAT FACT.

Gee whiz. IRS doesn’t recognize my Bachelor of Arts College degree either. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t mean anything. And BTW, your original replay was "IRS says not to use" it.
                Last edited by Bees Knees; 07-28-2013, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                  It certainly does mean something. It means you passed a test, administered by the IRS, that says you are competent to prepare tax returns, and you have a certificate issued BY THE IRS that says so.

It doesn't mean at this time IRS requires it. But there is nothing in that court order or from IRS that says you can't advertise THAT FACT.

Gee whiz. IRS doesn’t recognize my Bachelor of Arts College degree either. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t mean anything. And BTW, your original replay was "IRS says not to use" it.
                  I give you the last word. None of this is worth all of this back and forth. You have your opinion and I have mine. By the way, IRS doesn't recognize my numerous law enforcement degrees but so what.

Comment

Working...
                  X