Filed HH then signed away one and only dependent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed HH then signed away one and only dependent

Divorced couple 1 child. Parent 1 filed HH in 2011 and claimed child. About 1 month later, parent 1 signed away child dependent claim to parent 2 via form 8453 for tax year 2011. I dont know if parent 1 filed a 2011 amended return but is parent 2 entiled to file HH on 2011 tax return?

Yes, my errror. It is form 8332
    Last edited by AZ-Tax; 07-21-2013, 01:24 PM.

I assume you mean Form 8332.

Parent 2 can try (on paper, of course). But if Parent 1 hasn't amended, it may be an uphill fight, unless Parent 2 is actually the custodial parent. In such cases, the IRS usually defers to the custodial parent, regardless of whether an 8332 has been filed.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      Divorced couple 1 child. ... but is parent 2 entiled to file HH on 2011 tax return?

Yes, my errror. It is form 8332
      Your post suggests that parent 2 is not the custodial parent. If that is the case, the answer to your question is NO.

From IRS Notice 2006-86 (underlines added)

If § 152(e) applies, a child may be treated as the qualifying child of two taxpayers. A noncustodial parent may claim the child as a qualifying child under § 152(e) only for purposes of the child tax credit under § 24 and the dependency deduction under § 151. However, the noncustodial parent may not claim the child as a qualifying child under § 152(e) in determining head of household filing status under § 2(b), the earned income credit under § 32, the child and dependent care credit under § 21, or the exclusion from income for dependent care assistance under § 129. Only the custodial parent (or other eligible taxpayer) may claim the child as a qualifying child for those purposes.

Comment

NYEA is right!

I forgot that about H of H.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
        X