Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refund status on IRS.gov for 2011 tax year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Refund status on IRS.gov for 2011 tax year?

Can I get a refund status on the IRS website under "where's my refund" for 2011? I dont see a place where you enter the tax year one is inquiring about. This is what the IRS website Help says:

The individual tax return you filed for a refund this year (or the last six months of last year) can be accessed through "Where's My Refund?". You can check on the status of your refund 72 hours after you e-file. If you filed a paper return, please allow 3 weeks before checking on the status.

I paper filed my clients 2011 tax return in May 2013.

Also, does anyone know if the IRS is going to require a 8821 or the other form that I cannot think of currently in order to discuss my client's 2011 tax return even though I was put on the return as 3rd party to share info with?

no..only current year refund can be obtained on-line. Call PPL for 2011. The third-party authorization on a tax return is only good until the next filing year. F8821 would be required for any prior year even if you are listed as the third party on the return. i.e. for a third party on a 2011 return-conversation with IRS is only good until 4/15/12.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

That would make sense that the IRS is not interested in accomadating late filers with full services as it can only encourage late filing.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        Can I get a refund status on the IRS website under "where's my refund" for 2011? I dont see a place where you enter the tax year one is inquiring about. This is what the IRS website Help says:

The individual tax return you filed for a refund this year (or the last six months of last year) can be accessed through "Where's My Refund?". You can check on the status of your refund 72 hours after you e-file. If you filed a paper return, please allow 3 weeks before checking on the status.

I paper filed my clients 2011 tax return in May 2013.

Also, does anyone know if the IRS is going to require a 8821 or the other form that I cannot think of currently in order to discuss my client's 2011 tax return even though I was put on the return as 3rd party to share info with?
        Actually, yes, you can check status on a 2011 tax return if that was the most recent return filed and none have been filed since. I actually have 2 clients right now who one we just filed a 2011 return (via mail) and the other we filed a 2012 return (efile). I have been monitoring status for both online thru the Where's My Refund? option. Once the 2012 return shows approved and I efile 2013 then you lose being able to get status updates on the 2012 and then you will only see 2013 status.

Maria
        Maria R., CRTP
        Los Angeles, CA
        Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

Crtp

Originally posted by MariaR08 View Post
          Actually, yes, you can check status on a 2011 tax return if that was the most recent return filed and none have been filed since. I actually have 2 clients right now who one we just filed a 2011 return (via mail) and the other we filed a 2012 return (efile). I have been monitoring status for both online thru the Where's My Refund? option. Once the 2012 return shows approved and I efile 2013 then you lose being able to get status updates on the 2012 and then you will only see 2013 status.

Maria
          What is CRTP?
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

What is CRTP? California registered tax preparer.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
              What is CRTP?
              It's for CTEC Registered Tax Preparer

CTEC = California Tax Education Council
              Maria R., CRTP
              Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Question

Originally posted by MariaR08 View Post
                It's for CTEC Registered Tax Preparer

CTEC = California Tax Education Council
                Thanks. So

1 - as a California Tax preparer, do you need this designation to file state returns?

2 - as a non California Tax preparer, do you need this designation to file California state returns?
                Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Originally posted by TAXNJ View Post
                  Thanks. So

1 - as a California Tax preparer, do you need this designation to file state returns?

2 - as a non California Tax preparer, do you need this designation to file California state returns?
                  1 - Yes, if you are not exempt as a CPA, Attorney, EA, etc.

2 - Out-of-state tax preparers are not obligated to meet California requirements.
                  Maria R., CRTP
                  Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Working...
                  X