DOMA Dead

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roberts
    replied
    Originally posted by David1980
    It's not really quite correct to say DOMA is dead, precisely because of what you mention. States that do not wish to recognize same-sex marriage from other states do not have to. Where as male-female marriage in one state does get recognized in other states. Section 2 of DOMA is still in force.

    http://www.policymic.com/articles/51...-gay-marriages
    Correct. But as I understand it, the Feds must recognize them if they are married within any state or international country that recognizes gay marriage. I can already tell (barring my own feelings about this) that I'm going to get REALLY tired of hearing about this for the next 10 years.

    Leave a comment:


  • David1980
    replied
    It's not really quite correct to say DOMA is dead, precisely because of what you mention. States that do not wish to recognize same-sex marriage from other states do not have to. Where as male-female marriage in one state does get recognized in other states. Section 2 of DOMA is still in force.

    Leave a comment:


  • appelman
    replied
    Better wait for the dust to clear.

    I suspect it will be a while before the IRS shakes out the details and comes up with some guidelines.

    Leave a comment:


  • erchess
    started a topic DOMA Dead

    DOMA Dead

    My understanding of the recent Supreme Court ruling is that DOMA is gone so the Federal Government may not refuse to accept a marriage which is valid under the laws of any state. But as I understand it there is nothing that says any State has to allow same sex marriages to originate there. However what I really do not know is whether a same sex couple that gets a valid marriage in one of the states that does allow it and then moves to a state that wants to not recognize it, is that State free to do so or must it recognize that marriage? Could a state that was so inclined decide to not recognize any marriage that begins in a State that allows same sex marriage? Am I perhaps asking questions that do not have definitive answers at this time? I just need to know what the law is because I am willing to prepare any return that can be legally prepared and for which I will be paid my usual rates for my time.
Working...