Nonprofit Forms possibly delinquent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nonprofit Forms possibly delinquent

For several years I have been doing a 1040 and three 1120Ss for this guy every year and I have known that he also was the founder of a Nonprofit but he said the treasurer of the organization was taking care of the required E Postcards. Now he has a letter from the IRS saying that they can't find any record that the nonprofit filed for 10, 11, or 12. The treasurer has resigned and disappeared for parts unknown. The sheriff would like to discuss with her certain matters unrelated to the nonprofit but cannot find her. There were no donations other income or expenditures for two of the years in question and the third it had only income from my guy paying its bills so filing should be easy. Can I still do these on the IRS Website and can anyone tell me where? The letter proposes no penalties it just wants proof that the filing happened even if in response to the letter and all will be forgiven. Am I missing something? Can it really be this easy?

Bump

Just running this to the top again to see if it gets any answers and if not, oh well no hard feelings.

Comment

I know very little about non-profits. But, I googled and found this. It may be helpful.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Exempt Organization

You're lucky IRS didn't automatically revoke the exemption.
        It normally does that after the filing date of the 3rd consecutive year of no filing anything.

Regardless of how much (or how little) the organization grosses - it's expected to at least
        file the 990-N - which is a post-card e-filing. It's not done on paper. The current threshhold
        for mandatory filing of a 990-EZ - is more than $ 50,000 gross receipts.

The only way to find out what 990-N e-file your person filed (if filed) is to go to www.irs.gov
        for tax entities. The only problem is if you don't know the username and password that
        was used to login - you're stuck.

What I suggest you do is call the IRS phone number provided on the notice and explain
        the predicament. But at least call IRS to show a response to the notice.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Working...
        X