Beware- Corporate Records Services Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware- Corporate Records Services Scam

Client came in last Saturday with an offical looking letter form Corporate Records Services requesting a copy of their last annual meeting minutes plus send in a check for $125. VA is not the only state that this has appeared. This is a scam and as my Atorney mentioned to me that in VA the State Corporate Commission would be the only official governing board whereby any kind of notice re: Corporations would be sent.
    Be on your toes.
    Best Regards,
    Taxadvisor VA

Corporate Scam

This occurs in New York as well.
    The Department of State requires a filing every two years for $ 9.
    This commercial company located in the state capital of Albany,
    sends these phony notices out asking $ 125 to file it on behalf
    of the corporation if the taxpayer would complete the name, address
    and check boxes.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Also California and Nevada - similar notices to Corp and LLC - fortunately my clients are aware and will forward the notices to me before they respond.

Sandy

Comment

Also North Carolina. It's probably the same company operating in multiple states. The NC Sec of State has been chasing these foks since at leat 2008, maybe longer. They just renewed their warning on the NC Sec of State web site recently.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by Taxadvisor VA View Post
          Client came in last Saturday with an offical looking letter form Corporate Records Services requesting a copy of their last annual meeting minutes plus send in a check for $125. VA is not the only state that this has appeared. This is a scam and as my Atorney mentioned to me that in VA the State Corporate Commission would be the only official governing board whereby any kind of notice re: Corporations would be sent. Be on your toes. Best Regards,
          Taxadvisor VA
          It's not really a scam. See previous thread. They probably do what they say they will do. It's just not necessary, and very misleading to the unaware. Read fine print. They do not claim to be a govt agency, but we ought to complain to the State Corporation Commission.

Comment

Nebraska too. The Attorney General issued a press release advising people it was a scam.
            In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
            Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
            X