Name on 1099-Misc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name on 1099-Misc

I just looked closely at the 1099-Misc for the s corp that I have another thread on. The 1099-misc was made out to the individual instead of the business.

I did the sale of the business name and the client list on the 1120S per other thread and how Bees Knees explained it, which made sense because the s corp still existed for a few months after he sold those items.

Here is my question. Since the 1099 is in the name of the individual should I put a schedule C in his personal return with the amount as income and an expense with a note explaining that the transaction was reported on the 1120S for the business.
    Otherwise, I think the client will get a letter later from IRS looking for that amount of money to be on his personal tax return.

Linda, EA

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    I just looked closely at the 1099-Misc for the s corp that I have another thread on. The 1099-misc was made out to the individual instead of the business.

I did the sale of the business name and the client list on the 1120S per other thread and how Bees Knees explained it, which made sense because the s corp still existed for a few months after he sold those items.

Here is my question. Since the 1099 is in the name of the individual should I put a schedule C in his personal return with the amount as income and an expense with a note explaining that the transaction was reported on the 1120S for the business.
    Otherwise, I think the client will get a letter later from IRS looking for that amount of money to be on his personal tax return.
    The IRS is going to file the 1099-MISC based on the SSN/EIN, not the name. So whose number is on it?

Comment

persons

It has the social security number of the taxpayer, not the company's id number.

Linda, EA

Comment

Then, yes, do an in-and-out on the 1040, sche C-EZ if it qualifies. You can include explanation. Then add to 1120S.

Comment

Working...
        X