Zip Disks - Does Anybody Use Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zip Disks - Does Anybody Use Them?

I'm cleaning out a storage space and I ran across a box of never-used Zip disks, along with a couple of drives, cases, etc. They've been gathering dust for quite a while and I need the space. I abruptly stopped using them when higher-capacity flash drives became common, and I suspect that most everybody else did the same. Does anybody still use Zip disks for any reason? If so, I'll be glad to give them to you rather than toss them in the garbage.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
    I'm cleaning out a storage space and I ran across a box of never-used Zip disks, along with a couple of drives, cases, etc. They've been gathering dust for quite a while and I need the space. I abruptly stopped using them when higher-capacity flash drives became common, and I suspect that most everybody else did the same. Does anybody still use Zip disks for any reason? If so, I'll be glad to give them to you rather than toss them in the garbage.
    If I recall, they're about 1GB, and probably too thick and slippery to make good coasters. Toss 'em.

I tossed an entire box of unused 3.5" floppies when packing up the old house. Not to mention the dozens of used ones that I passed through a bulk eraser before tossing.

Comment

Sell them on ebay. JMO.

Comment

I still use them to transfer data from mag tape & 5.25" floppies.

Comment

Am I the only one

Still doing all returns by hand, then transferring it to typeset, transferring that (through ion transference) to a selectron tube, backing that up to a punch card and then duplicating the data to magnetic drum memory?

I know it's an old fashion method plus the fact that I have to rent a 50,000 square foot warehouse to store my super computer and but it does the trick for me. I refuse to join the 21st century!
          Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Comment

Still using a Zip drive? Your my hero.

Davien,
            Without moving online, how are the big corporations going to control you, you are making it very difficult for the high end executives, sitting in thier 34th floor office in the big cities, to influence your decisions and thus, make you one of thier pauns. They really need us all to bank online and do all our commerce online so they can track our spending patterns and get our money without us even realizing it. They tap into minds smarter than us to figure out how to influence us. How are they going to pay for thier Jaguar and Tesla electric sports car if we don't move into the 21st centruy. They need millions of people under their control to feed their coffers. I'm proud of you that influence throgh intimidation ie: the term "snail mail" "moving into the 21st Century" does not work with you, keep using that zip drive, and many happy returns. (there's nothing wrong with technology when it has a practical purpose and stands on i'ts own merit).

Comment

Poster said drives and cases. What do you have? We sometimes rebuild em for our daycare centers for their older kids to play games on.

Comment

Not sure where my post went - this may be a duplicate.

I have one Z250P and one Z100USB with power cords and connector cables, maybe more once I dig through the stack.

I have 25 or more each of the 100MB and 250mb disks.

I also have a rev drive with a single disk.

If your day care can use them, I'll be glad to box them up and send to you at no charge.
                Just PM me your shipping adress.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Sorry for the diversion. I too have old zip disk and drives and just figured they will be trashed, but I'm keeping them as long as I still have a PC that runs and has a zip drive in it (which I do).

Comment

Working...
                  X