Registration with NY as a tax preparer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registration with NY as a tax preparer

Does anyone know off hand what is required to have to regester to get a NY PTIN to prepare a NY state tax return. I'm in PA and am currently doing the only NY return I have. Thx.

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
    Does anyone know off hand what is required to have to regester to get a NY PTIN to prepare a NY state tax return. I'm in PA and am currently doing the only NY return I have. Thx.
    I register each year. But, because I don't prepare 10 or more NY returns, I didn't have to pay. I just used my Fed PTIN. I didn't have to get a NY PTIN.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Thank you WO, I also am under 10. My problem is Drake is aksing for all kinds of NY preparer info and won't file the return electocically. I suppose I'll have to call Drake and tell them I'm exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
        Thank you WO, I also am under 10. My problem is Drake is aksing for all kinds of NY preparer info and won't file the return electocically. I suppose I'll have to call Drake and tell them I'm exempt.
        No, you're not exempt from registering. You're only exempt from paying the fee.

Go to the NYS web site and register. If memory serves, the first step is setting up a practitioner account, and then going through the registration process. One of the steps will ask you if you're exempt from the fee, and under which exception. Answer that with the "fewer than 10" option, and you'll be able to complete the process at no cost. I believe you'll also need your EFIN, and if you do RACs at all (whether or not this one is associated with a RAC), you'll need the bank info. It may take as much as 15-20 minutes to get through it all. Once you finish, you'll be given a NYS id number, which you'll have to enter into Drake in order to e-file.
        Last edited by Gary2; 06-19-2013, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Yes, Gary is correct. You still have to register with NY. You just don't have to pay.
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

EA, CPA, or Attorney? Those are exempt from registering. http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpregmore.htm

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              EA, CPA, or Attorney? Those are exempt from registering. http://www.tax.ny.gov/tp/reg/tpregmore.htm
              Oops, yes, you're right - unless they also facilitate RACs or RALs.

Comment

Thank you very much everyone, I am a CPA so I will not bother going to NY's web sight. I did learn that in the Drake Preparer user options I can go into the state link and type exempt under NY for the NY PIN, then it will let me Efile. Thank You again.

Comment

Working...
                X