OT: Scanning Programs for Bookkeeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Scanning Programs for Bookkeeping

Hoping the group can help me on this one.

I have a bookkeeping client that is technology challenge. He can run a computer and get on the internet but other things he has a hard time learning.

Well I am doing his weekly bookkeeping. He sends me a fax that contains a hand written paper with deposits and checks for that week. He said today that his wife is getting a little tired of handwriting everything and wants another way of doing it. He mentioned scanning in checks, deposit slips, etc into the computer and emailing to me.

That is all good but I need a program that he can use. A scanning program that is very simple. Takes the scanned in information and then can email it directly to me.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Dany

Dany,
    Good to hear from you!

I now have quite a few clients, scanning and emailing. Most all is arriving in a simple PDF form - sometimes a JPEG - that I open with PDF. Right now I am on Adobe which sometimes can be an issue.

Not sure what my clients are using on their end, but their Scanner should set up for them when they scan. Some of my clients if they have access to online Banking, download those reports and or checks directly from their bank as a PDF - that takes about 5 seconds

Quickbooks has a "Save to PDF" on reports that I also use frequently.

Hope this helps, you have my email if you want more info.

Sandy

Comment

Thanks Sandy for posting.

He hasn't installed the All In One machine yet. Hopefully one of his children will install it and then I can figure out how the software works with the scanner.

I would like for him to be able to scan in and then something pops up on the screen where he can email it to me. That would be the simplest.

Comment

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500

I bought one of these machines at the beginning of tax season. It is really simple to use. After you scan your set of papers, a screen comes up and asks you if you want to save it to scan disk organizer, attach to an email, print, and some other options.

So he could just say email and it would open up a email for him to send.

I have done that a couple of times too.

It costs around $300 or $400. Can't remember right now...too late at night. It has some great other features too. You just open up the machine, load in your papers to scan and they slide right through. There is a clear envelope to put small items in when you scan them.

You can google it. That reminds me of a cute little story. Today my almost 8 year old grandson drew a picture of a red mushroom and wanted to know if there were mushrooms that looked like that. I told him I didn't think so. He said, "Nana, you can google it and see if you can find one". Even little ones know about google.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
          . Today my almost 8 year old grandson drew a picture of a red mushroom and wanted to know if there were mushrooms that looked like that. I told him I didn't think so. He said, "Nana, you can google it and see if you can find one". Even little ones know about google.

Linda, EA
          Actually, the red mushroom (with white spots) is very famous in the Nintendo Mario games. Ok...now you know what I like to do during non-tax time. lol

Beck

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
            Thanks Sandy for posting.

He hasn't installed the All In One machine yet. Hopefully one of his children will install it and then I can figure out how the software works with the scanner.

I would like for him to be able to scan in and then something pops up on the screen where he can email it to me. That would be the simplest.
            Are you comfortable with the data being transmitted without being encrypted?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion on the Scansnap. I have one myself but it is an older model. This client would not pay that for just a scanner I know him.

Yes I am concerned about encryption but consider the risk low for copies of deposit slips, bank statements, etc. I have clients email me tax paperwork all the time. They will not use SecureFilePro to upload the files. So far everything has been secure but never know.

Comment

One thing for sure

And it's a relief to know you can always trust NSA to have a backup.

Comment

If that was actaully true

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                  And it's a relief to know you can always trust NSA to have a backup.
                  If that was actaully true, I would discontinue my Carbonite back up and save $100 a year.

Comment

Uncooperative clients are a real pain. I have had clients that just won't do things differently or do things that help us to take care of their business. I would be tempted to tell him this is what he has to do IF he wants me to keep doing his bookkeeping and taxes. Otherwise, he can go try to find someone else who will do it the way he wants it done. Of course, we know he won't find anyone. Then he will have to come back and tell you that you were right and he will cooperate.

It is a risk but sometimes we have to stop coddling them. If he knows that you really mean he has to do things differently, he just might cooperate.
                    I decided last year when a new client raised my blood pressure about 30 points that no client was worth that. She didn't call me this year and I was so glad. I didn't send her a newsletter or anything to invite her back either.

Linda, EA

Comment

I gave my client 2 options

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                      Uncooperative clients are a real pain. It is a risk but sometimes we have to stop coddling them. If he knows that you really mean he has to do things differently, he just might cooperate. I decided last year when a new client raised my blood pressure about 30 points that no client was worth that. She didn't call me this year and I was so glad. I didn't send her a newsletter or anything to invite her back either.Linda, EA
                      This last spring I was going on my 3rd year when I finally gave my client a choice. 1. open up a separate acct for you business or locate another bookkeeper/tax preparer. My client (ex client) didnt return. In these situations, it's possible the new bookkeeper gave my ex client the same choices and ex client may have gone for it but we are talking about the most stubborn pigheaded client I ever had meaning my ex client would never admit that he opened up a separate business check acct at least to me.

Comment

I have always discouraged clients from emailing any document to me. They can quickly upload those documents through a secure portal at my website. If they chose not to do that, I insist they email the document in a password-encrypted PDF format.

I use Adobe Acrobat and not sure what other PDF creating software is out there.

Comment

Working...
                        X