IRS processed 1040X on wrong year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS processed 1040X on wrong year

Last year, I prepared a 2010 amended return for a new client. He received the form letter in the mail saying "we made the changes you requested to your 2011 Form 1040". Uh...NO! We did not amend 2011's return! The IRS apparently processed the 2010 amended as a 2011 amended. How could they do that?

I called the PPL to try and straighten this out. First call, I can get no assistance because I do not have a signed 2848. Unfortunately, I am only a RTRP (now unrecognized) and I could only have my client sign a 8821 (which gives me no power). By the second call, the IRS rep said to send the check back, uncashed, and attach a very simple note of explanation. She also told me that it appeared that the IRS did take note of my first call and "looks like they are sorting it out." She said to wait 6-8 weeks for the correction. That should have been mid-Aug last year. Never heard anything from the client and he never returned my followup messages. I assumed he received the correction or chose to ignore me.

Fast forward to April of this year. He brought his stuff in along with THREE letters from the IRS.
    Letter one: dated July - acknowledges receipt of the returned check and an approximate 60 day time frame for the IRS to make the requested adjustments.
    Letter two: dated Aug - says the IRS is still researching the matter and taxpayer will receive a response within 45 days.
    Letter three: dated Oct - says due to a heavy workload, the IRS has not yet completed its research to resolve the taxpayers inquiry. Please allow an additional 45 days for a response.

The taxpayer did not receive any further communication and no resolution to the problem.

I have account transcripts (dated 4/8/13) for the taxpayer for 2010 and 2011. You can easily see the IRS errors in the transactions.

How do I fix this? My thought at this point is to prepare two amended returns. One for 2011 putting things back to original and the other for 2010 as I originally amended.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!
    Debbie

No no no...don't make things worse by filing more amended returns. Get back on the phone (you or your client) and keep pestering them for an answer. OR, write more letters with copies of all IRS letters attached asking for a resolution.

Comment

Better yet call the tax advocacy office
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Agree with taxea.

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        Better yet call the tax advocacy office
        I've had good luck (well, some good luck--two super reps/one sorry) with this bunch in solving complex problems; not that yours is complex but rather it's almost impossible to get 'em to change an item like that 'cause nobody wants to fool with it.

I had one client who IRS had mixed his returns up with his like-named father for four or five years and my rep chewed his way through all those years like a beaver, completely untangling them, and putting everything back exactly the way it was supposed to be (would never have expected a branch of the IRS to be so thorough).

Taxpayer Advocate Service (877-777-4778).

Find out about the Taxpayer Advocate Service, an independent organization within the IRS, that helps taxpayers solve problems with the IRS and recommends changes to prevent them..

P.S. Also agree with Bees - file no more 1040Xs to muddy the water. The TAS rep will ask you to send copies of all docs and they'll take if from there.
        Last edited by Black Bart; 06-02-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

I will try to get the client in here some evening before the PPL closes for the day, and make another attempt to straighten this out through the PPL. If not successful, I will try the TAS.

Thanks!!!

Debbie

Comment

Working...
          X