Dependent living at Boys Town?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent living at Boys Town?

The client has a son 16 yrs old who is living at Boys Town in Nebraska.
    The client pay $200/mo and Boys Town pays EVERYTHING else... food, clothes, transportation, house, entertainment, the works...
    She says he is her dependent and other parents with a child at Boys Town claim the child as a dependent as well.
    I called Boys Town... they said it was up to the parent and they should talk to a tax guy about it???
    Well... I know absence from the home for school is OK for a dependent and this is a school but the child is not released until graduation from this school... (although he does come home for 1 or 2 week brakes during the year)

So... has anyone run into this before?
    How is EIC handled with this type of dependent?
    Is the child a dependent or not?

Boy's Town is not the boy!

So long as he doesn't pay more than half of his own support, the amount provided by Boy's Town is irrelevant. A more serious question is whether he meets the requirement of living with taxpayer for more than half the year. I would think that he meets the "special circumstances" exception.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Pub 596 has this to say about "Temporary Absences" ...

Temporary absences. Count time that you or your child is away from home on a temporary absence due to a special circumstance as time the child lived with you. Examples of a special circumstance include illness, school attendance, business, vacation, military service, and detention in a juvenile facility.
      If detention in a juvenile facility counts as a temporary absence, I would see no problem with less mandated absences, such as boarding schools, military schools, 'hard love' wilderness camps, etc. The key is that the child will be gone for a time certain, after which he will (intends to) return to his home.

Comment

Agree with Don & Evan

And there is no support test for EIC.

Comment

Working...
        X