Tax software for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
    I'm new to Drake this year (switched from ATX in late January), and have been impressed with its speed and simplicity. Learning curve isn't very steep for someone open-minded enough to not expect it to duplicate whatever they were using before. Customer service is fantastic - not to be beaten by any company out there.

I've heard that Drake will allow pay-per-return customers to switch to "unlimited" without any cost penalty if your volume exceeds expectations. I think most companies would take advantage of that situation and tack on costs, but not Drake. They are a well-run, dependable, and honorable company to do business with.
    This has also been my experience with Drake, almost verbatim but have gone through 2 full seasons with them now. I'm a drake user for life I think.

Comment

Web based - one opinion

... What is the positive or the negative to a Web Based Tax Software??

Are we as tax preparers (Circ 230 rules) at risk for using - as there is sensitive client information that would be entered?
      As a TaxAide volunteer, I used TaxWise Online (TWO) this past season. Except for some early glitches with a newly installed WiFi network, it was a very positive experience. The online version eliminated the problems with making sure all the workstations had the latest version of the software, or missing returns that the preparer 'forgot' to give to the ERO. It was not noticeably slower than the desktop version. All prior year returns were available to any preparer at the site, not just the specific preparer who did the return last year. Summary - eliminated hassles and worked great as long as internet was available.

Privacy rules - the sensitive client information is going to be transmitted over the internet from the preparer to the service bureau in any case (unless you paper file.) Don't see an issue.

Comment

The only problems I'd see with online only software are:
        1. the internet does go down at times (not often but it happens and when it does, it could be for 2-3 days if a storm caused it. We had a switch go out at a box up the street and didn't have internet for 2 days while they came out and fixed it - imagine that happening April 10th)
        2. I can't take my laptop and work at the client's home or office.

Otherwise, I see no problems with internet only software. Some people, those 2 issues aren't issues at all.

Comment

My fear of web based software is it being slow during the peak of tax season and even not being able to get in during 11th hour processing (April 15th). Also is your Interet Provider is down, you can work on tax returns. Also if you want to look back several years at a return on the screen you may not have access to that prior year data. It is very expensive for a vendor to store back year data more than 2 or 3 years. Also written disclosure would be required to the client that thier confidential information is being used in Ecommerce. And in general, you are giving total control of your tax processing to your vendor. Has anyone ever tried switching software packages from a web based vendor to a new vendor. How was the conversion program. If web based was better, then 90 % of Quickbooks users would be using the web based version and 90% do not. Web based (or in the clouds) can make sense when there is a great need to be able to access the software from several different computers at different locations while on the go.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
            2. I can't take my laptop and work at the client's home or office.
            Though I dislike internet and cloud-based software for many of the reasons given, I'm not so sure about this point. It's relatively cheap to get a mobile hotspot, so the real questions is how good is the cell coverage and is cellular bandwidth (say just 3G) good enough?

Comment

This would have been year 4 with TRX

Originally posted by Roberts View Post
              I use OLTPRO desktop and while it's pretty darn good IMO, it does have a few weird issues that you'll need to keep aware of. If you go with them, private message me and I'll write them out for you.

OLTPRO at $399 is the web version and it only does the 1040's. The corporates are in the desktop version only as I understand it.

Peachie, you say you used TRX - if you used them years ago when they resold Intellitax - IMO OLTPRO desktop is very similar to Intellitax. You probably weren't using TRX back then though.
              I never used Intellitax. I have gotten some really good comments and referrals from this board. Thank you all so much for your thoughtfulness and responses.

Peachie

Comment

Good question Sandy.

Originally posted by S T View Post
                On this post - I have a question? What is the positive or the negative to a Web Based Tax Software??

Are we as tax preparers (Circ 230 rules) at risk for using - as there is sensitive client information that would be entered?

Sandy
                I will certainly be interested in the answers. Sounds like a really good way to be almost paperless.

Comment

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
                  I will certainly be interested in the answers. Sounds like a really good way to be almost paperless.
                  Online software by no means will help you go paperless. Online software for the most part has less features than the same installed locally software. The issue with online software:

No, 3g wont work.. you really need dsl/fiber/cable interenet.
                  Most companys only store your returns for 3 years.. then they are gone forever.. you have to figure out a way to keep copies.. (paper or digital)
                  Its not only if you have internet/computer problems, its also if the software co has internet/computer probs.

To go paperless...
                  you have to scan all docs from the client to your pc/server/etc
                  scan all auth forms (8879/8453/bank apps) to your pc/server/etc
                  scan all supporting docs to your pc/server/etc

**Update: All scans should be password protected.

**Update: Make sure everything is backed up daily.. preferable to multiple places

(some tax softwares will help you with that, doubt any in your price range or ANY online based softwares)

Chris
                  Last edited by spanel; 05-24-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
                    Also if you want to look back several years at a return on the screen you may not have access to that prior year data.
                    If you decide to stop being a client in December 2013, will you be able to access your older returns in May 2014, 2015, 2016....
                    What if they go out of business in 2014? Who's supporting the website and servers to access those returns?

Comment

I can give one experience on web based computing. I have used CD ROM based STF Superforms for about 15 years, and it has been excellent. Bloomberg just bought them out and raised the price to where for my needs, they priced themselves out of the market (like so many high-end tax prep software vendors are doing). I then looked into CFS forms service. They just changed to web based only. I called in to consider purchaseing the product and ask the person on the phone if it had certain forms, I ask them to check for me on the spot. They said they couldn't get in becasue the sight was busy at the moment. Ladies and Gentleman, we need dependability in the software we use, this scenario, in my view, is unnacceptable. I actualy am trying to do without a forms service and so far so good. What is getting me thorough is the "print blank forms" feature on my Drake tax prep software. also Drake gives their client write-up package for free, which I don't need, but that also has a print blank forms feature which includes payroll forms. Also my payroll software (AMS ) has, for 45 dollars a year, a fill 'n print feature which I now use. With all this, so far, I have been able to get by without Bloomberg's 800 per year STF superforms. My conclusion, web based software is not dependable for my needs, thought it can meet some nich needs in the market place.

Comment

TaxSlayer Pro demo

Got an interesting postcard from them this morning -- they're offering a free download of the 2012 program:

Our professional tax software for tax preparers offers robust solutions to practices of all sizes. Learn how TaxSlayer Pro helps improve your earning potential.

I'm an ATX user and if I switch, this is one of two companies that I'd be interested in (Drake is the other). Can't decide whether to ride it out with ATX again next year and see if it improves (my 2012 program was balky and worrisome, but functional) or to jump ship. John H said his switch from ATX's forms-based format to the menu-whatever style that Drake uses wasn't that bad.

I guess I might try out the download, but I kind of dread the phone calls I'll be flogged with 'til I say uncle and buy or tell 'em to go away. Apparently the competing tax programs got hold of ATX's (disgruntled) customer list -- they've been driving me nuts since 4-15.

Comment

Black Bart

>>I guess I might try out the download, but I kind of dread the phone calls I'll be flogged with 'til I say uncle and buy or tell 'em to go away. Apparently the competing tax programs got hold of ATX's (disgruntled) customer list -- they've been driving me nuts since 4-15.<<

I have demoed Drake for the last three years. The only communications were by email and then very few AND not "pushy." After this "non stressful" year with ATX I am going with Drake.

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                            Online software by no means will help you go paperless. Online software for the most part has less features than the same installed locally software. The issue with online software:

No, 3g wont work.. you really need dsl/fiber/cable interenet.
                            Most companys only store your returns for 3 years.. then they are gone forever.. you have to figure out a way to keep copies.. (paper or digital)
                            Its not only if you have internet/computer problems, its also if the software co has internet/computer probs.

To go paperless...
                            you have to scan all docs from the client to your pc/server/etc
                            scan all auth forms (8879/8453/bank apps) to your pc/server/etc
                            scan all supporting docs to your pc/server/etc

**Update: All scans should be password protected.

**Update: Make sure everything is backed up daily.. preferable to multiple places

(some tax softwares will help you with that, doubt any in your price range or ANY online based softwares)

Chris
                            Thanks Chris for another very good view point.

Comment

Anyone know if taxslayer has forms 3520 & 3520-A?

Comment

Working...
                              X