amending return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amending return

I have a taxpayer who has a son with the same name. Tax information belonging to the father was entered and file
    on the sons return. In amending the sons return, should I zero it out to basically delete the return or enter the
    correct information for the son. Filing 1040x--most of it is interest and stock sales. Trying to make it as clear as possible
    for the IRS.

thanks

Amend, don't delete.

If I understand what you're saying, I would think you would want to amend to create a correct return for the son. You'd need to attach corrected forms and schedules.
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
      I have a taxpayer who has a son with the same name. Tax information belonging to the father was entered and file
      on the sons return. In amending the sons return, should I zero it out to basically delete the return or enter the
      correct information for the son. Filing 1040x--most of it is interest and stock sales. Trying to make it as clear as possible
      for the IRS.

thanks
      How old is the son? What is the total investment income? If over a certain figure, and son is a dependent, there are extra and dreaded calculations with reference to parent's marginal tax rate(s).
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
        for the IRS.

thanks
        How did the info for dad get on son's return? Was it also reported on dad's return? Did you do both originals? Son's return needs to be amended using the correct info. Have you done an amended return before? It is done completely separate of the original, not by any other means.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
        X