Mailing Extensions HOW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mailing Extensions HOW?

I'm sending off all mine together in one oversized (4 3/4 X 11), brown Kraft, heavy-duty envelope. I'm sending it "certified mail with return receipt" ($4.88 at the post office),

I always get to worrying about what would happen if some clerk at the IRS service center lost the envelope somehow. I know somebody has to sign and send the green card back to me and, therefore, I've got some proof, but what if they later misplaced that envelope with ALL my extensions in it. I'd have the card, but all that really shows is that they received something from me--it doesn't necessarily prove that it was extensions. Worse, even if I could prove it was extensions, I could not prove that big-penalty-due John Doe's was one of them.

Don't know what I'd do if that happened. Both clients and me might be out of luck.

I used to send them off one at a time in separate envelopes, based on the theory that if one envelope was lost, it was only that one. Now I've got too many to do that.

I was wondering--how do the rest of you send yours? What do you think the risks might be (never mind if you're e-filing them)?

One at a Time

I used to them one at a time but this year for the first time I am E-filing them. I sure hope it works!!!!

Comment

Don't wait until the last minute with the e-file.

Took me a while to figure what exactly I need to do in my software (ProSeries).

Good luck though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriele
        Don't wait until the last minute with the e-file.

Took me a while to figure what exactly I need to do in my software (ProSeries).

Good luck though.
        I give them the envelope to mail.As a matter of fact, I send them to the post office.In Florida where I live there are quite a few post offices that are opened until midnight.
        Brian

Comment

Gabriele

Which version of Proseries are you using? I am using Professional this year, last year I tryed Basic but I used Professional for 3 or 4 years before that and ATX before that. I have a request for a price on Lacerte but I'm thinking it may be too expensive for the size of my practice. I have read good reports on it but the price could be an issue.

Comment

I was paranoid about e-filing extensions, because I was afraid it would just transmit the whole return without the finished data on it, and then I’d wind up having to do amended returns all summer for everyone.

I suppose I should just figure out how to do it. It would be easier than standing in line at the post office this afternoon.

Comment

We strongly recommend e-file extensions.. We have done over a 100 and have had very few kicked back. We get a response a day or two (a great improvement over paper filing).

Comment

The best solution is to not do extensions but schedule your work so you get them all done before the deadline. I had only one extension, requested by the client, and that was for a return that the client was going to do himself. I filed that extension by mail weeks ago. I did my last tax return on Friday and took the weekend and Monday off. Of course I don't take walk-in's. Life is less hectic if you don't have work on the last day. Everyone have a good vacation.

Comment

Efile

I efiled all of my extensions (Proseries Professional). I haven't had any problems.

The partnerships and trusts that I had to extend were done by mail on Friday and I put them all in one envelope. I have done this for two years and I haven't had any problems.

Good luck to all in the final hours and Happy Vacations to you all!
                  Noel
                  "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Efiling Extensions

I didnt think I had any extensions to do until this afternoon. I efile my extensions using TSPro Software and had comfirmation of acceptance within minutes. This is the only way I will do extensions in the future unless client wants to mail their own.

As far as software is concerned I will continue to stay with
                    tax slayer pro. It's the best for the price. For a small just starting practice that is important. I dont believe for a minute that price determines the value of prof software. The fact that it gets the job done for you is the supreme test. Tax Slayer does. Thanks Ken In Arizona for your advice years ago.

Comment

I had filed by paper an extension on a corporation two years in a row. Both years the IRS said they did not receive the extension timely. No more paper extensions for me.

Comment

Mailing extensions

I don't think the IRS is going to be happy with them all going into one envelope. They want them all sent separate.
                        I extend every return I have on 4/10 so I don't get caught up in the rush. I figure that if the return gets done and filed on time it doesn't hurt anything and I only charge the client if the extension actually had to be used.
                        You also have the option of phoning them in, which I have done in past years. They give you a file number for the record.
                        You need not worry about the entire file going in on the e-file, at least not with proseries.
                        The state e-file box should not be checked-you can recheck it after the extension is filed. If you have checked the e-file extension box, gone to the extension form and filled out the necessary boxes there, you'll be fine.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                        X