The blame game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The blame game

I was wondering about the taxpayer advocate in all the recent revelations of IRS gone wild.

TaxPayer Advocate

I'm not going to try turn this subject into an endless blog. But the article singles out the taxpayer advocate, and I would ask the forum for opinions on what their job is.

I have always thought the taxpayer advocate (formerly "tax resolution officer") acted on behalf of taxpayer's whose processing of tax matters had mired down in endless IRS notices, ignoring of correspondence, etc. My experience is that they WILL get the IRS to process and give answers (whether favorable or not) when issues get stuck.

The writer of the article seems to think the taxpayer advocate (and Nina Olsen in particular) was also supposed to intervene in cases of harassment complaints. I never had that understanding of her office, but have always told my clients if they felt like they were harassed to contact their Congressman.

This will have big repercussions, whether or not you think the IRS was prompted by the upstairs in the administration. Also will backfire on politicians of BOTH political parties. How would you like to be the donor of $5000 to a particular candidate of EITHER party, and find out IRS is turning over lists of donors?? The campaign offices of both parties will not stand for their constituent donors to be done this way. This won't stop with a reprimand - heads will roll.

Comment

Acting commissioner

Gone today.

What changes can be made to stop IRS abuse in the future? Can it be stopped?

Comment

Gosh!

Originally posted by veritas View Post
        Gone today.
        President Barack Obama said “misconduct” detailed in a report about the Internal Revenue Service’s handling of requests from conservative groups is “inexcusable.”

It sure is getting crowded under that bus, isn't it? And so it should -- those fifth columnists are everywhere.

Gee, I dunno. Over five years ago I complained to our seminar's IRS Stakeholder* Liaison about the lousy quality glue on 941 return envelope labels (can you think of a more pressing matter?). He assured me he would "elevate" my request. And what happened? Nothin'. In fact they quit sendin' them (and pre-printed 941s) out altogether.

So I totally agree with the prez -- hardly anything ever rises to the top.

*Has nothing to do with tent-pegs.
        Last edited by Black Bart; 05-16-2013, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Why is it taking so long for the democrat congressmen who sent the harsh demanding letters for this investigation by the IRS to take place to step up and admit they started it? Once they are dealt with then it is time to go after those in the IRS who authorized the investigation. Seems like they are putting the cart before the horse here.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Start from the Top

I say a lot of things will change if the top guy gets the boot (will never happen!). The dems (including the President) has crossed the line in so many ways and brought things to another level of inproprieties. I can't for the life in me figure out how these guys can get away with what is happening in the country. It is so obvious and clear what is happening.

Comment

Ha

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
              http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/15/politi...html?hpt=hp_t1

It sure is getting crowded under that bus, isn't it? And so it should -- those fifth columnists are everywhere.

Gee, I dunno. Over five years ago I complained to our seminar's IRS Stakeholder* Liaison about the lousy quality glue on 941 return envelope labels (can you think of a more pressing matter?). He assured me he would "elevate" my request. And what happened? Nothin'. In fact they quit sendin' them (and pre-printed 941s) out altogether.

So I totally agree with the prez -- hardly anything ever rises to the top.

*Has nothing to do with tent-pegs.
              You might be on to something. Maybe if I talk to my local stakeholder/liasion and ask about elevating some of my personal gripes they might go away too?

What the heck is a stakeholder anyways?

Comment

(Voluntarily removed)

(I removed this post because I was clearly crossing the political line, as Bees pointed out in the next reply and I agree with him)
                Last edited by JohnH; 05-16-2013, 10:29 AM.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Danger!

We are in danger of having this thread get zapped for arguing politics. This particular topic is legit, since the IRS got caught targeting one political group. I think we can talk about IRS corruption without turning this into an excuse to bash one political ideology over another.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                    I think we can talk about IRS corruption without turning this into an excuse to bash one political ideology over another.
                    In total agreement with you!!

Comment

Gone today.

The man was leaving already, so what difference does it make if he leaves a couple of weeks earlier?
                      Since he was leaving anyway, no one has actually been punished for these actions. I consider this resignation as a "non-event" as pertains to the illegal actions.

The papers all seem surprised that the IRS would do such things. When you appoint an admitted "tax cheat" to head the parent US Treasury, what message does that send?

LT
                      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I was thinking this issue will hamper IRS from getting Congressional support for the proposed legislation that would give IRS statutory authority to regulate tax preparers. If everyone is mad at IRS right now, nobody is going to approve giving them even more power. If the appeals court decision doesn’t rule in favor of the IRS, we might not see RTRP rules and regulations anytime soon.

Comment

IRS or PAC's, the lessor of two evils

Originally posted by ruthc View Post
                          I say a lot of things will change if the top guy gets the boot (will never happen!). The dems (including the President) has crossed the line in so many ways and brought things to another level of inproprieties. I can't for the life in me figure out how these guys can get away with what is happening in the country. It is so obvious and clear what is happening.
                          Yestery while I was driving and searching for my Classic Rock FM station, I came across a local talk radio show that probably leans a little to the GOP. The Radio host said that all PAC's should be shut down. Then he took some calls and some of callers said they wished the IRS would have found illegal activities within the PAC's and shut down all the PAC's. I think if the IRS would have singled out non profits like St. Vincent DePaul, Red Cross etc., the public would be extremely outraged but I am getting the census that it's the IRS or the PAC's, who is the lesser of two evils.

I totally AGREE with Bees, the IRS may have lost some clout with Congress.

Comment

Breaking News

IRS is claiming there was no political bias in what they did.

Comment

Oh, OK.
                              I guess that settles it - nothing inappropriate here.
                              Let's move along
                              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                              X