Taxpayer Refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxpayer Refund

Here is one I have not encountered before - due to the amount of the refund $136,000 (never have filed for one this large of an amount before) filed in late February 2013 for 2012, Taxpayer received a letter from IRS - (understandably) due to the large amount, that IRS had to contact the W-2 Issuer of the Income and withholding, verification, etc to make sure legitimate - It was all due to some Stock gross up.

No other issues on the Tax Return.

At any rate, it took IRS until May 8, 2013 to finally release the "refund" - Is IRS obligated to also pay interest on the amount of refund , due to the delay of the issuance of the refund check. Maybe only from 4/15/2013 to 5/8/2013??

Just a question, if anyone knows. I do know that sometimes we receive interest on Amended Returns if there is a refund.

Thoughts,

Sandy

I think IRS issues interest for delay of refund only if issued after june 30.

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
      I think IRS issues interest for delay of refund only if issued after june 30.
      Correct.

Irs has always had a policy of taking a second look at refunds over 100,000. My neighbor two houses down is retired from IRS and that particular process in this area was his bailiwick.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
      X