Dependent SS# correct, Last name incorrect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent SS# correct, Last name incorrect

I prepared a 2011 & 2012 tax return for taxpayer. Taxpayer mailed their 2011 and I e-filed their 2012 on the same day. When I efiled the 2012, it was rejected due to the last name of the dependent didnt match the SS#. So I corrected the last name it and re e-filed and it was accepted BUT the 2011 has been mailed in with the incorrect last name. Any chance the Fed and the State will see the correct last name on the 2012 tax return and correct the 2011 on their own and not hold up the tax return? If not anybody have any suggestions other than filing an amended return?

They fix it

when they receive the return. It probably kicks out when they data enter it but someone fixes it by checking
    Social Security Admin. That is why someone who has been mailing a return in for years is suprised the 1st time they
    e-file and return rejects. IRS never notified them when it was on paper.

Comment

In one instance, for a client, I had used a dependent's name for 3 years (2005, 2006 and 2007) on paper returns.
      There was interchange of letters in the last name.
      Returns got through without any objection.
      In 2008, when I used the same name on paper return, IRS disallowed one exemption and deducted client's refund.
      Upon enquiry, an IRS employee advised me to send a letter with correct name, date of birth and copy of
      dependent's SS card to obtain the remaining refund, which was received after 5 months.
      I did not have to amend the return.
      Last edited by NSNM; 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X