Mechanics of Updating Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanics of Updating Software

I wonder if any tax software updates automatically when the user is AFK the way Windows and most of my other frequently updated programs do. To me what I have to go through is unbelievably clunky. I open the software presumably because I want to use it. No matter how long I go without opening it it neither updates itself nor asks me to update it. So here I come wanting to work and possibly have a client with me or on the phone but I know from hard experience I better update before I try to use the software because the return is almost certain to reject if it is prepared in out of date software and it's not impossible the bottom line of a return can be changed by an update. So before I can update I have to close the software. Remember I had to open it to know I needed an update but I have to close it to do the update and open it again in order to finally be allowed to do productive work. But before I tell Drake that they need to somehow let me update either without opening or without then closing or else lose me as a customer I thought I would ask if anyone else has software that updates without opening and then closing.

You can setup Drake to update outside of the program.

Comment

Most have separate update software that will run when you start up the computer and you may need to actually install the software but unless you never use the computer, it shouldn't be a major hurdle.

Comment

TY Both

I want it to update automatically while the software is not in use nor is ope. I think I am hearing Dany say what I have can be set up to do that.

Comment

TY Dani

I was aware of and was trying to use what you pointed me to but I was not aware that I have to set it up again every tine I reboot the computer. Since I do that a minimum of every other day and often many times in a day I am left wondering why it cannot be made to start automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
            I wonder if any tax software updates automatically when the user is AFK the way Windows and most of my other frequently updated programs do. To me what I have to go through is unbelievably clunky. I open the software presumably because I want to use it. No matter how long I go without opening it it neither updates itself nor asks me to update it.
            Not sure what AFK is, but my software automatically updates both forms and the program on start-up (of the program) unless I have unchecked one or both options in Preferences. It will update itself and reboot itself when it is done. It also has an icon in the toolbar that shows red when updates are available and not installed, and green when they are. In addition, a pop-up screen will show up every 15 minutes when program updates are available and not yet installed, which you can postpone for longer time periods up to 4 hours, if you don't want to do right then. I don't know of any program that updates itself if you are not in it, or if the computer is off.

Comment

I can set up ProSystem fx various ways. One techie suggested I update every Monday morning when I start work as most updates come in over the weekend. I work from home, so Monday morning doesn't have to be the time -- and, as you said, you often want to get right to work and not wait on updates. I receive an email a few days in advance telling me the update date and what it includes. After the rush at the beginning of the season, most come in during the wee hours of Sunday morning. So, I often update after church while checking my mail. But, for the most part, I can work on returns and not need to update until I'm ready to finalize a return or e-file. If the update includes only MI partnership, for instance, I am in no rush to update. I like having control over when I update.

Comment

You should not have to set it up every time you restart the computer. It should start up automatically. I am on WIndows 7 and mine starts up in the system tray when everything else does.

Is it not starting up for you?

Comment

TY All

ADK means away from keyboard. No software could update with the computer off but I think it could be written to turn the comp on and connect to the internet if the machine has power and an available internet connection. However I'm not particularly asking for that. I do however think that by definition all competent software can update itself while the computer is running and connected to the internet but the software is not running. And yes I know I too own a lot of software that is incompetent by that standard. Maybe I should change my nic to oscar the grouch. Hee hee.

Dany I have windows seven ultimate and the way I read what you pointed me to it states that automatic updates has to be set up again every time the computer reboots. I could be misreading but my experience is in line with what I think I read.

Comment

The Drake automatic updates stays on all the time. If you turn your computer off and restart it later, then Drake update will also start back up with all other programs that run in the background in the system tray. Atleast that is what it does with me. It actually pops up when I turn the computer back on.

Comment

Don't know about Drake, but I use Tax Slayer and it updates automatically everytime I restart the Tax program. Wasnt' always this way but has been for a few years and I love it. I never have to remember to do it, unless I don't close totally out of program and then I will need to.

Comment

The cloud is up to date.

We used the on-line version of TaxWise at our AARP site this year and it worked very well. And of course since the tax software didn't reside on our computers, it was always up to date.

Comment

Drake updates

One thing I found is that if you have implemented every coton pickin states' software, updates are frequent. So I only add a state's module when it's needed, except of course for Georgia and Alabama which are used daily.

By not implemented all of them, you save time in the update process.
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

TaxslayerPro

TaxslayerPro updates every time you open the program. If you need to download a certain state, you can do it as a separate function. But as a whole the program is always up to date.

Love it.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                              I want it to update automatically while the software is not in use nor is ope. I think I am hearing Dany say what I have can be set up to do that.
                              It would be helpful to know which software you use. We could then provide a more accurate response.
                              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                              X