ITIN and reject

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIN and reject

I've never had this situation before. A MFJ person's return was rejected and I found out the wife's number is an ITIN. Do I leave it MFJ and take out the ITIN? Or is he head of household (they have a child)? She had no income so she can be a dependant????

Reject?

The fact that the spouse has an ITIN does not explain why the return was rejected.

What is the reject code?

It may be an incorrect birthdate, or even an error in the name.

Returns with an ITIN reject for the same reasons as returns with an SSN. They don't reject because it is an ITIN.

Hispanic names often get really fouled up.

I don't care what the client told you, and I don't care what other documents you have. In order to make sure you have the correct name, you should ask for a copy of the ITIN letter, or at least a copy of last year's return.

Head of Household may be an option. But there are some very complicated rules involved. HOH is possible, in some cases, when the spouse is a nonresident alien, even if they are living together. But the taxpayer cannot claim EIC.

You may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. You need to know why the return was rejected.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Thanks Koss, Just assumed the ITIN was the problem. I will get the ITIN letter from the TP and resend on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Mom View Post
        Thanks Koss, Just assumed the ITIN was the problem. I will get the ITIN letter from the TP and resend on Monday.
        Have you at least confirmed what the reject was? The ITIN letter may help you try other permutations on the name, but I don't think it will help if the problem is the birth date, and it certainly won't help if the problem was with one of the other numbers on the return.

Comment

Of course I checked to see what the reject was. It was for Name and/or SSID not matching IRS records.

Comment

Working...
          X