Whats up with Taxworks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats up with Taxworks?

Hey has anyone heard the rumor (fact) about Thompson Reuter) and Taxworks?

The Tax & Accounting business of Thomson Reuters recently announced the acquisition of select TaxWorks assets from RedGear Technologies.

“We are very pleased that RedGear Technologies has selected UltraTax CS as the tax preparation system that best meets the needs of TaxWorks customers. We’re bringing all our resources to the table to make sure the transition is a smooth one for TaxWorks users,” said Jon Baron, managing director, Professional Segment, Tax & Accounting, Thomson Reuters.
    Last edited by David1980; 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

They usually let you keep the same fees for a couple of years and then you are hooked with their programs. You are going to love the program, if the price doesn't get to you.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Ultra Tax is a great program. I went over to it when they bought out Microvision. But I couldn't justify the $6K it would have cost me after the first couple of years. So I switched to ATX until this year, now am using Drake. I think Drake has many of the efficiency features Ultra Tax offers, but at about 1/4 the price.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I'm about in the same boat here. I switched to Drake from Lacerte becasue of price, and I am pleasently suprised that Drake is very powerful and exceeded my expectations.

Comment

Express mail letter arrived today with the Announcement!

Now I am concerned about downloading past year versions of TW - as I have to set up a New Computer in the next month or so - and what about support for any "hiccups" on past versions - although they should be minimal

These mergers and takeovers drive me crazy with Tax Software

Sandy

Comment

Drake is family-owned and as long as it stays that way, it will probably be the best choice. As long as ATX was family-owned, it was a very good program.

If Drake ever sells out to a bigger company, it will probably deteriorate just as ATX did.

Comment

I did make the change to Drake this year! Due to the "major snafu's" with TaxWorks program for returns 2012, Tax Season 2013

Outside of the learning curve, conversion of files, etc and learning a new tax program in the midst of Tax Season as in February 2013 - I am okay and Drake Support has been the best!

Let's hope Drake does not follow suit and "sell out" the larger corporate just increases cost and less service for us!

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                  Express mail letter arrived today with the Announcement!

Now I am concerned about downloading past year versions of TW - as I have to set up a New Computer in the next month or so - and what about support for any "hiccups" on past versions - although they should be minimal

These mergers and takeovers drive me crazy with Tax Software

Sandy
                  If you have to prepare prior year returns I'd use whatever software you end up buying. I think pretty much everyone gives you the prior years of their software when you buy current. For record retention - does TaxWorks have a batch print to PDF or similar feature? Get everything printed to PDF and you don't need to worry about the tax software to access it.

Comment

I've been through 3 take-overs and I know it is not fun. Way too many isssues to address regardless of conversion files supplied. When Ultra Tax bought out Microvision, I was done with take-overs. I stayed with UT even with the price increase. I made up my mind to use all of their programs to gain full efficency. It made it possible for me to proceed with just a part-time write-up bookkeeper. I do 425 personals, 55 Corps and 5 Misc other entities myself.

Yes I pay dearly for the programs, but I know everything that is leaving my office. If had to pay for additional personel to accomplish my tasks, it would costs me more and I might not have total control like I have now.

To each their own, I know UT works for me. I looked into Drake but did not spend much time on it. The older versions were just horrible. Maybe somethings have changed over time. My big fear is at some point even Drake will be a seller to the big boys, family businesses do that.
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

aicpa tax software survey

AICPAŽ & CIMAŽ is the most influential body of accountants and finance experts in the world, with 689,000 members, students and engaged professionals globally. We advocate for the profession, the public interest and business sustainability.
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

taxea

I am confused by the names of some of the software in the AICPA article
                        Are ATX and Taxwise the same software? What about the other software from CCH pro.... fx ?

Comment

CCH, a Wolters Kluwer Company, has a Small Business Service company that sells ATX and TaxWise. Their Tax & Accounting division (or something similar; they've had reorganizations within the Company) sells ProSystem fx and related products.

Intuit sells Turbo Tax, ProSeries, Lacerte, and an online product.

Thomsen just bought TaxWorks and sells Ultra Tax CS that used to belong to Creative Solutions.

Lots of mergers and acquisitions!

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                            CCH, a Wolters Kluwer Company, has a Small Business Service company that sells ATX and TaxWise. Their Tax & Accounting division (or something similar; they've had reorganizations within the Company) sells ProSystem fx and related products.

Intuit sells Turbo Tax, ProSeries, Lacerte, and an online product.

Thomsen just bought TaxWorks and sells Ultra Tax CS that used to belong to Creative Solutions.

Lots of mergers and acquisitions!
                            I suspect Taxworks still belongs to H&R Block but Thomsen now owns the rest of the customer list.
                            Doug

Comment

And Thomsen is "working it" not looking at the the requests or "bail outs" in 2013.
                              I wish them luck!

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X