Financial Planner questions to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lion View Post
    Oh gosh, I might've given someone the wrong advice. Client nets under $30,000 on her Sch C. Told her to get her $6,000 Roth in by 15 April. She's on extensions, so we'll prepare her return later and compute her SEP contribution. So, if she had contributed to her SEP, she could NOT have done the Roth?

The Roth is actually a larger contribution, so at least this works out OK for her this year. If I'd been able to file her returns on time, I would've had her contributing to BOTH a Roth and her SEP -- and that would've been wrong?!
    A Roth contribution is not deductible.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

What I get a sort of perverse kick out of is looking at the 1099B, netting out the gains and losses, adding to the results the dividends and interest, then subtracting the fees and feeding client the result to show his real gain/loss on the account. Then, if I also know the average funds invested throughout the year, I can calculate ROI so he can compare it to the paltry CD rates at local banks.

One client for example was previously well pleased with his broker, but after seeing the 2012 results (when the market did very well you know) reversed his opinion.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Investment advice

You can get all the investment advice you need, free, by following David Fish on Seeking Alpha. He provides a free monthly update of stocks that have a long history of raising dividends every year--many for 25 to 50 years. He also shows the payout ratios, so you can avoid those that are paying out 80% or more of their earnings which could indicate an unsustainable situation.

Comment

Working...
        X