Efiling an extension and making a payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efiling an extension and making a payment

Can I efile the extension, and send in a check by mail? Would like the confirmation of the efile acceptance, but need to make a good faith estimate. And I don't want it ACH out of my account. Any way to do this?

I'd send a hard copy of the extension request with the check, even though it's been e-filed.
    But I know there are some who say not to do it that way - I'm not sure why.
    I'd also use certified mail with return receipt for the check/hard copy mailing since it's going in on the last day.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Check should work?

John,

I've already filed several federal extensions (via Form 8878), including my own, and I have provided the relevant RTN/DAN account numbers whenever a payment is necessary. I have no qualms about using that method, plus you get an acknowledgement that the extension/payment info was accepted. Regardless of when you filed the extension online, the debit date defaults to 04/15/2013. (Not sure how that works today??)

The process is essentially the same that you use for an efiled balance due federal return (Form 8879) where the client authorizes a bank debit on a future (self-selected) date.

Quite frankly, in this day and age you likely face far more "risk" by having your paper check rattling around in the postal system.

But everyone to their own choices. I would assume you can use your software to file a "balance due" Form 4868, submit it without any payment, and then follow up with a paper check and printed payment voucher.

FE

Comment

Did finally find the instructions: NOTE: If you efile Form 4868 and mail a check or money order ot the IRS for payment, use a completed paper form 4868 as a voucher.

Comment

Working...
        X