• Show
Clear All

Duplicate Filing, Possible ID Theft

Yesterday I got a efile reject for a client. The code says:

Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a
    previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period
    indicated in the tax return. Duplicated Submission

=====
    I have prepared this client's return for ten years so I know they did not file it.

I would like to efile an extension for them so that I can call the IRS.
    Would an efile extension also be rejected?

Client owes on Fed and State so I really need to figure out what to do.

I could go ahead and do a paper return but worry about it getting post marked in time and do no want them to get any penalties.

Would appreciate help as this is the first one I've had with this problem.

Dany

ID Theft

This happened to two of my clients last year. You have to print the return for mailing in and fill out Form 8948 with the rejection code.

You will also want to attach IRS Form 14039 and explain the ID theft.

Both my clients eventually got their refunds, it just took months to get there. This year I have received only part of one of those client's information so they will be extended. The other brought their stuff in after 4-1. It will probably be done, but not until some time this weekend, so I do not know what will happent this year.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

report to police

It is also important to report to the police department and send a copy of the police report with the form. Get POA for your client so you can talk to IRS and find what is going on for them along the way.

It will take a while to get the refund. But they will get it.

Linda, EA

Comment

I have a client with this problem too. I really believe we should not disclose our SSN and other personal information to anyone if it is not absolutely necessary. When situation like your doctor asks for your SSN, I'd just put down "Available upon request". Why does your doctor need your SSN anyway?
        Last edited by NotEasy; 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for responding.

I have been unable to get my client today.

Would it be okay to file an extension?

I am booked solid Monday and would rather wait until after 15th to deal with this.
          I know the client will freak out because I know I would. Can't deal with that right now.

Okay well I guess no reason to file an extension since as the IRS is concerned there is already a return.
          Last edited by geekgirldany; 04-13-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

IRS thinks they have filed

As far as IRS is concerned they have filed a return. So I don't think an extension would go through.

These are the notes I made when this happened to one of my clients last year. I called IRS and they told me to call the police and the state's attorney's office. Fill out form 14039 and send in with a copy ID. At one form but more is better....social security card, drivers license. Also give a brief description .
            Contact the FTC (877-438-4338) and social security administration (800-772-1213). Contact the credit bureau. Equifax number is 800-525-6285.
            IRS Identity Theft department's phone number is 800-908-4490. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7am to 7pm.
            It takes 8 to 12 weeks for processing. and 90 days from letter being received.

Hope this helps you.

Linda, EA

Comment

Thank you so much Linda! I very much appreciate it.

Comment

Clients came by today about the ID Theft/tax return. I gave them all the numbers you listed Linda and they are calling and filing reports today.

They called the bank and the rep there said their fraud department had already received 16 complaints/alerts on the very same issue and this is a small bank.

I just want to know how thieves are getting this information.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                  I just want to know how thieves are getting this information.
                  Furgetaboutit, you'll never find out. There are too many places for thieves to get that information.
                  "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
                    Furgetaboutit, you'll never find out. There are too many places for thieves to get that information.
                    Reminds me of my first checking account. The bank used the social security number as part of the account number. It had a few digits on the front or on the end (I don't call which) but if you knew where the SSN started in the account number it was there, printed right on all your checks. Write someone a check and they had your name, address, and social security number. It was a large bank in the area too. Seems they had to change that system in the late 90's to use something other than SSN as account number.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                      Reminds me of my first checking account. The bank used the social security number as part of the account number. It had a few digits on the front or on the end (I don't call which) but if you knew where the SSN started in the account number it was there, printed right on all your checks. Write someone a check and they had your name, address, and social security number. It was a large bank in the area too. Seems they had to change that system in the late 90's to use something other than SSN as account number.
                      My first driver's license number was my SSN, Hawaii didn't stop doing that until the mid-80s IIRC.
                      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

My drivers license also had SSN on it. Probably about 15 years ago Georgia changed it.

It seems that for many years I was giving out my SSN for everything. Medical, college, etc. There is no telling who has such info.

Comment

When I worked for the State, I did some out-of-state work and the boss asked me to find out how New York assigned sales tax permits. They said they just used the person's SSN. After that Texas began doing it that way for a while until identity theft made it too risky. For a while they continued using EINs with an extra digit or two as an EIN, but have discontinued that now.

Recently I e-filed a return for a 90-year-old preacher who had died in November. It was rejected since some identity thief had already filed using his SSN.

Comment

Got one today too

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                            Yesterday I got a efile reject for a client. The code says:

Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a
                            previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period
                            indicated in the tax return. Duplicated Submission

=====
                            I have prepared this client's return for ten years so I know they did not file it.

I would like to efile an extension for them so that I can call the IRS.
                            Would an efile extension also be rejected?

Client owes on Fed and State so I really need to figure out what to do.

I could go ahead and do a paper return but worry about it getting post marked in time and do no want them to get any penalties.

Would appreciate help as this is the first one I've had with this problem.

Dany
                            helpful link

Comment

Client has been working all week to contact the various agencies and get incident report filed. In the meantime, I filed a POA on eservices to see if I could get the tax return that was filed.

Well I did get it and was very surprised. It has an address on it that is in another state and the refund is actually a low amount. Under $800.

I maybe paranoid here, but is it okay for me to provide print outs of the tax return and account transcripts to my client?

Comment

Working...
                              X