Late paper extensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late paper extensions.

Paper extensions may not make it by the 15th (depending on your location). Post office employee client tells me two big service centers in the South closed last month; everything's going to Memphis or Little Rock, mail is NOT being stamped (postmarked) locally in the rural boonies, and stuff sent today's probably okay, but Friday or Saturday mailing is dicey as to getting postmarked the 15th. Says best solution is asking the clerk to stamp it postmarked right there in front of you -- that they CAN (if they WILL).

Hate to throw in the towel and admit the Duke's right (electronically speaking) about my paleolithic paper pals at the post office, but they're leaving the playing field and I've already filed half-a-dozen 4868s by EF for the first time. (I can hardly bear the loss of my paper world...).

Extensions

I try to do extensions electronically whenever it is possible.

But the real solution to the problem you are describing would be to use a postage meter.

Just how far out in the boonies are you, Bart? Isn't there a private pack-and-ship store somewhere near you? They are not the US Postal Service, but they usually have postage meters that can stamp the date.

I don't have time to research it right now, but I'm a bit surprised at what your client told you. Even if the mail is physically stamped somewhere else, I would think that postal regulations would still require that the mail get stamped with the date on which it was actually picked up...

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
      I try to do extensions electronically whenever it is possible.

But the real solution to the problem you are describing would be to use a postage meter.

Just how far out in the boonies are you, Bart? Isn't there a private pack-and-ship store somewhere near you? They are not the US Postal Service, but they usually have postage meters that can stamp the date.

I don't have time to research it right now, but I'm a bit surprised at what your client told you. Even if the mail is physically stamped somewhere else, I would think that postal regulations would still require that the mail get stamped with the date on which it was actually picked up...

BMK
      Two personal happenings with me:

1. A whole handful of mail was returned to a company I worked for because, for some reason it took them two days to get the mail to their processing center, of which there are fewer and fewer of. It was returned because the postage meter date was not current with stampings on them causing have to put additional postage on them. And the date was correct on the date run through postage meter with the mail being deposited at post office on same day. Of course. if it is after 4:15 it lays in the local post office until the next afternoon.

2. Received mail from family member two weeks after mailing. Note on mail that mail had fallen off sorting table and was found behind machine.
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I have lost mail or taken 2 - 3 weeks to Ocean Springs Mississipi - makes me wonder! Only this year in 2013 - one piece of mail took 3 weeks to find it back to me - and then resent - and the client received in 3 days!

I also use email or fax to client, they are responsible, particularly if there is a payment due,

Other's I efile- and sometimes I do both

When in doubt, pay the $1.10 for certificate of mailing (might be a little more now) or send Certified

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
          ...the real solution to the problem you are describing would be to use a postage meter.
          I've heard of 'em but never actually seen one -- that bow and arrow outfit's been tryin' to sell me one for years, but the post office is only half a quarter from here.

Originally posted by Koss
          Just how far out in the boonies are you, Bart?
          Well, as you might'a guessed before I'm kind of gunshy about pinnin' myself down to an eggzact spot because of the occasionally embarrassin' yarns I spin about my crazy clients who might sue me for tellin' the truth (I dropped my E&O). Not to mention that IRS, if asked by an offended party, might view such stories emanating from a low-density population hole-in-the-road as revealing confidential client info.

But to answer your question in general, I once lived at Mountain Home, then migrated southeast through, but not stoppin' at, Calico Rock (close to Burt Reynolds' Evenin' Shade), on down 'round Oil Trough, and plumb past Possom Grape. So now I'm a (w)hoop an' a holler from somewhere between Bucksnort and Turkey Scratch. I know that's not much help, but it's all I can afford to say -- if I lose, Judge Judy's liable to make me hand over the billford holding all my worldy possessions (driver's license, a two-dollar bill, and (defunct) Blockbuster Video card).

Isn't there a private pack-and-ship store somewhere near you?...
          No, I don't guess so. We got a private package store here, but I never heard of 'em sellin' stamps (they ship a bottle now-and-then to the back doors of a couple ol' widder-women I know of).

...I'm a bit surprised at what your client told you. Even if the mail is physically stamped somewhere else, I would think that postal regulations would still require that the mail get stamped with the date on which it was actually picked up...
          That makes sense to me too, so maybe he doesn't know the whole story about what happens in Memphis, but I'm not takin' any chances anyway -- I'm gettin' my stuff hand-stamped here. By the way, when I said everything goes to LR or Memphis, I didn't mean the entire South, just Arkansas' and a few others' stuff (I suppose there are still other southern distribution centers left). He said Tupelo, MS (a large mail center) closed up. I do know that the week Tupelo went out it took eight days to get a letter from here to Memphis and then back to its destination 15 miles down the road from here.
          Last edited by Black Bart; 04-12-2013, 01:29 AM.

Comment

I didn't think postage meter dates counted for any proof to the IRS, too easy to tamper with. If you're worried about the lateness of the season, watch them hand cancel it for you or get a confirmation of mailing. You can also do certified or registered or whatever it is but that requires it to go by a real person at a front desk instead of just being dumped in the IRS mail room, so it can get lost in the building before it gets to the mail room (had that happen to more than one client, each received their return receipt, but IRS couldn't find returns!). Certain private delivery services count as proof of mailing too, but just certain services of them and not all possible ways of delivery. I let my clients choose. I seldom mail, just e-file.
            Last edited by Lion; 04-12-2013, 01:08 AM.

Comment

If you don't efile them you can phone them in and save the stamp and the possibility of them getting lost in the mail or postmarked late.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Really? You can "phone them in?"

Comment

Regarding paper extensions, as long as the paper extension is hand-stamped at the Post Office counter, it doesn't matter when IRS actually receives it. The clerk can hand-cancel regular first class mail at the counter - some will complain about it but you just need to insist. Certified mail with return receipt is much better, especially if there's much potential penalty involved. $6 is pretty cheap insurance and you get both a record that you mailed it and (usually) a signed card that it was received.

Dropping the extensions in the mail box is a crap shoot - that should only be done when there isn't much at stake if the extension goes missing.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    Regarding paper extensions, as long as the paper extension is hand-stamped at the Post Office counter, it doesn't matter when IRS actually receives it. The clerk can hand-cancel regular first class mail at the counter - some will complain about it but you just need to insist. Certified mail with return receipt is much better, especially if there's much potential penalty involved. $6 is pretty cheap insurance and you get both a record that you mailed it and (usually) a signed card that it was received....
                    I've also been telling clients sending anything (payments, returns, anything else) to have them hand-stamped at the counter tomorrow. I also have always sent important stuff by certified mail with a return-receipt, however the clerk said "priority mail" ($5.50/full-page size cardboard envelope) was a better deal. You don't get a certified card, but you get a tracking number to check status at USPS.com.

I'm not sure what the card's worth anyway. Once calling DFA (state tax),I asked if they'd received my letter; lady said no; told her "I'm holding a green card in my hand with John Doe's signature on it; does he work for you?" Said "Yes, John works for me, but I don't have your package. Check back next week." I couldn't think of anything appropriate except a good cussin' so I just hung up, called back next week, and sure enough, it was there.

I sent an 8879 by ordinary mail 3-28 and it got lost, so I tried the "priority mail" on 4-4. Expected delivery date was 4-6; I checked the ticket number online that day and they confirmed delivery.

P.S. The guy called me today (4-13). He got the the lost 3-28 letter this morning.

P.P.S. Don't tell FE anything about this.

Comment

Working...
                    X