Form 1099-C - Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 1099-C - Estate

I thought I had posted this day before yesterday but in looking for replies, I can't find it. So here goes again....

Worthless ex-son-in-law signed promissory note years ago for $20K (when he wasn't an "ex,") then defaulted after paying back $12K. The mother who loaned him the money died in 2013, so now it is a debt of the estate. They are going to try to collect, but if it turns out worthless, I am going to assume the estate can issue a 1099-C to the guy? I just hope the ex-wife/daughter has his SSN around somewhere. But to do that, they would have to write the loan off I suppose, and make no further attempts to collect. They may be able to get a judgement, or attach it to his property, but it might be years before they get anything.
    Last edited by Burke; 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM.

The result of a 1099-C?

If they file a 1099-C, he could most likely avoid any tax by claiming insolvency. Thus, now the estate is forbidden from collecting and he pays zero!!

I would look at the small claims court judgment - at least they would have several years to possibly do a wage garnishment?

But then sometimes they might just want to put the whole thing behind them.

Mike

Comment

They are going the certified letter route to start, and then try to attach lien on property if that does not work. In VA, its a fairly simple task to file it at the courthouse. That house cannot ever be sold unless it is satisfied.

Comment

Working...
      X