Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Question and receiving Documents

Computer guru's

I have noticed the last year or two that clients (scanned email documents) documents are arriving as JPEG(quicktime) or as Tiff files - I have my computer to open as a PDF using Adobe

computer guru's - is this something that the clients are doing on their end when sending me scans or

do I need to make another adjustment on my computer when I open

Seeing JPEG's and Tiff's are becoming annoying when I have all as PDF.

And the Jeg's and Tiff's don't always convert as clear to a PDF

I love the email attachments and what my clients are doing - but this issue I don't know how to resolve

Thanks

Sandy

You should be able to open JPEGs or TIFFs, either in your browser or in a built-in graphics program, such as Windows Paint. JPEG is not QuickTime's native format, but it's possible that your system is set to use the QuickTime player as the default reader for JPEGs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "scanned email documents". Since e-mail is already on the computer, there shouldn't be any reason to scan an email document. Assuming you mean "scanned documents sent by email", then the problem is most likely at their end, when they make the scan, not when they send it. Most scanning software has a choice between scanning as images (which is the right way to scan photos and such) and scanning as documents (which is the right way for what you want). Usually the result of scanning as a document will be a PDF file, though some software may have other options.

Another possibility is that they're emailing scans of checks which they've downloaded from their bank. There probably isn't much choice with those.

You don't want to be in the computer support business for your clients. So just tell them that if their scanner has a choice, to be sure to specify "document" or "text" for scanning stuff for you, and hope that's enough.

Comment

It is on your clients end. They are scanning in the documents as images. Happens to me all the time. I have the open up in Photoshop for me so I can easily print them out.

You can set a default program to open jpegs and tiffs. Save a jpeg or tiff to your desktop. Right click on the jpeg or tiff file. A menu pops up, look for Open With, move your mouse over that, another menu pops up, look down at the bottom for Choose Default Program. Click on that, a new window opens, scroll through and select your favorite photo viewer or editing program. Make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", is checked. Now click okay.

From now on jpegs and tiffs will open in the program you selected.

Comment

Issue primarily with the sender

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
        It is on your clients end. They are scanning in the documents as images. Happens to me all the time. I have the open up in Photoshop for me so I can easily print them out.

You can set a default program to open jpegs and tiffs. Save a jpeg or tiff to your desktop. Right click on the jpeg or tiff file. A menu pops up, look for Open With, move your mouse over that, another menu pops up, look down at the bottom for Choose Default Program. Click on that, a new window opens, scroll through and select your favorite photo viewer or editing program. Make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", is checked. Now click okay.

From now on jpegs and tiffs will open in the program you selected.
        There is mixed blame here. Some clients have no ability to generate PDF documents (they can still find them, and forward them as attachments), so they are stuck with scans of the jpg or similar type. Some of those scans are often of the GIGO quality as to resolution, or even worse when scanning some colors other than black/blue. (I think "good" scans also take up far more memory/email space than mere PDF files.)

You should urge your clients to send (forward) you PDF files, and then when that is not an option you have to work around it using various view/print options on your 'puter for any scans sent to you. And sometimes....you even have to resort to snail mail!!

FWIW: Notice I did not say the "F-word" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."fax." Such will eventually join the ranks of rotary phones, eight tracks, and paper checks.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
          Computer guru's

I have noticed the last year or two that clients (scanned email documents) documents are arriving as JPEG(quicktime) or as Tiff files - I have my computer to open as a PDF using Adobe

computer guru's - is this something that the clients are doing on their end when sending me scans or

do I need to make another adjustment on my computer when I open

Seeing JPEG's and Tiff's are becoming annoying when I have all as PDF.

And the Jeg's and Tiff's don't always convert as clear to a PDF

I love the email attachments and what my clients are doing - but this issue I don't know how to resolve

Thanks

Sandy
          Solution is simple, Sandy. Instead of trying to open a tif or jpg file, just save it on your computer, then locate the file and choose "Open with...." plus the applicable application. (??)
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X