Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annuity Surrender Charge

OK Tax gurus!

Annuity surrender charge. Expense or not? My client changed annuity companies and had to pay the surrender charge.

Thanks in advance,
    Beck

Are you thinking as an investment expense? I don't think so. l I have never seen it treated as such.

Comment

Hi Burke......why could that not be an investment expense?

Comment

Originally posted by beck View Post
        OK Tax gurus!

Annuity surrender charge. Expense or not? My client changed annuity companies and had to pay the surrender charge.

Thanks in advance,
        Beck
        FWIW, check IRS publ 575 - IRS says a loss on Schedule A with the 2% cut. There is controversy about this but the Pub is the only "guidance".

Comment

Investment Expense:

It must meet one of two rules: The expense must be incurred "(1) to produce or collect income; or (2) to manage property held for producing income." See Pub 550, Chapter 3.
          Last edited by Burke; 04-04-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Had similiar situation

Beck, your clients insurance annuity was sold by an licensed insurance agent. That agent should have his or her license pulled for this. I had a client with similiar situation several years ago and I concluded it definitely could lnot go on Sch D and I believe I put it on Sch A "unrecovered investment in annuity".

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
              Beck, your clients insurance annuity was sold by an licensed insurance agent. That agent should have his or her license pulled for this. I had a client with similiar situation several years ago and I concluded it definitely could lnot go on Sch D and I believe I put it on Sch A "unrecovered investment in annuity".
              So, does that mean that the annuity being moved from one company to another should not have been charged the surrender charge?

Comment

Working...
              X