Late season price-shoppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late season price-shoppers

They began to materialize in the lobby this week; quiet, empty-handed guys (no point in scaring me off immediately) whose papers (also looking for a parking place) are outside in the car. They open with "I wanted to see about getting my income taxes done." Each is different but the presentation's similar -- usually they've gotta lotta crap, the big-box shops have bludgeoned them with stunning quotes, and they're dead-serious about nailing it down cheap.

Where's a frugalistic sort to look now? At a non-CPA mom and pop shop, of course. After all, he says, "I only have a short form", or "a couple of W-2s." Upon extracting my modest estimate for such, he hauls in a folder bulging at the seams and begins to explain that black is white: "Oh yes, I forgot, my wife DID get some 1099s" and "She drove her car a lot; can we deduct that? I was sure a good accountant like you could handle it. A log? No, I don't think so." And "Well, I should mention that I worked in Oklahoma a little while last year before moving here in July, but that's not a big problem is it..."

Somewhere along about here, I double or triple the fee and he's out the door faster than I can say "pay in advance."

When I had money everyone called me brother. --- Polish Proverb

My office is at home now so I don't have a waiting room or lobby. IF I get a stray caller asking for a quote my response is simple: Not taking on new clients at this time. Saves a lot of wear and tear.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Referral Only

Or else I don't even speak with them.
      EAnOK

Comment

Get a lot of calls ... What do you charge to do a tax return? Let's see now, it does depend on ............... I hate it!

Comment

Do they just call a restaurant and ask how much the restaurant charge for a dinner?

Comment

I tell them I start by having them look at their previous year tax return and tell me all the forms, ask a few questions and then I can give them a close estimate. If that doesn't fly and depending on my mood, I give them a very wide price range.

Comment

Got a good one yesterday. Called and said he wanted me to do his return. I told him he would need an appointment.

Caller: "well I will be there in 45 minutes" (this was at 6:30 pm)
              "I have other clients coming. It will be next Monday."
              Caller: "Monday?, Well I live just down the road from you. I can come now"
              "No, I have other clients coming who have appointments."
              Caller: "So you must be really busy then?"
              "Yes"
              Caller: "Well, let me ask you how much you charge." (Read off the forms.)
              "$220 to $250."
              Caller: "If I come Monday will you have it done that day?"
              "No, my clients make appointments to drop off their information and then they come back to pick it up. It is usually a week turn around time now".
              Caller: "Oh, I would like to get it at the end of that week"
              "I can not promise that, it will be the next week".
              Caller: "Well you know the 15th is very close and I need it done".
              "You will have it before the 15th."
              Caller: "No sooner?"
              "If you need your tax return prepared while you wait you need to go to one of the franchise tax prep offices."
              Caller: "Well, I will call you back".

Super aggressive about coming that day.

I just sigh whenever I hear "I want an estimate".

Comment

If they really want me right now, I say the e-word. It'll go on extension. Weeds 'em out pretty quickly.

Comment

"No, my clients make appointments to drop off their information and then they come back to pick it up.

To each their own. Personally I hate doing returns without the client there. That drives me crazy sifting thru their stuff. Calling them back for more information. That is if you can get hold of them. Often ends up being a vicious circle. A lot of folks now just have cell phones. From my experience they seldom answer the darn things when I try and call them.

Comment

Well, I tried doing returns while clients wait but there is just too much going on for me to work. Clients talking to you about everything else in their life, people coming in and out all day, and kids running around blowing out the pilot light on a gas heater. Would rather not blow up the neighborhood

For me I found that although they may be sitting there they still do not have all the information you may need and you will still have to call/email. Them leaving the information, me thumbing through it, and telling them what is missing saves me much more time. Plus on more difficult returns I may need time to research an problem that I could not do while they wait. I also found out the hard way that it is easier to make mistakes while you have someone waiting. Email is my best friend now and my main means of communication with most clients. I only call them in a have to situation.

Comment

"My fee starts at XXX.XX for both Fed and State and increases based on the complexity of the return. I don't do your bookkeeping. You will have to total each item and put it on my worksheets. At this late date I will file an extension. I work on a first come first served basis so don't expect it to get done any time soon."
                      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

I meet with some of my clients and review their paperwork prior to preparing the return, some clients just drop off their paperwork, and other clients mail me their paperwork. I have 1 - 2 weeks turnaround time at which time they pick up the completed forms and sign forms 8879 or I mail back by flat rate USPS ($5.05) and they mail back the signed 8879's along with their check for payment. I used ProSeries and they have a simple 1-2 page client check list that I sent out to my clients in January and and my clients love having a list to gather the current year's papework. I either follow-up with a phone call but mostly use email with questions or comments. I only take on new clients that are referred to me by existing clients and I have a office in my home so there are NO walk-ins.

Comment

I agree with the earlier post, negotiate with them and try to get an extension.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                            For me I found that although they may be sitting there they still do not have all the information you may need and you will still have to call/email. Them leaving the information, me thumbing through it, and telling them what is missing saves me much more time. Plus on more difficult returns I may need time to research an problem that I could not do while they wait. I also found out the hard way that it is easier to make mistakes while you have someone waiting. Email is my best friend now and my main means of communication with most clients. I only call them in a have to situation.
                            Amen, brother! The only thing I do differently, and I started it this year, is that for those who drop-off, I make them wait a minute or so (if I am not tied up with someone) while I thumb through it. That way, I can usually tell if something major is missing right then and there and tell them to get it to me. Like the valuation on all those Goodwill receipts. Beats waiting days before getting to the return and THEN finding out something is missing. And I never call if I have an email address. I print the email on my pink "missing information sheet" and then I have a confirmation of what I asked for and when I asked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AccTaxMan View Post
                              Do they just call a restaurant and ask how much the restaurant charge for a dinner?
                              I call MacDonalds and ask,"How much do you charge for a hamburger?"
                              Then I call Burger King and ask them
                              Then I call Whopperburger and get their price.

Then I go to Smashburger and order a hamburger because I like theirs better.

Comment

Working...
                              X